Sick Hammer

andy

Yesterday, I had to clip one head off my two-head Hammer... it had definitely died, and was going to become skimmer goo so I clipped the head off. Now this morning, the other head is looking a bit under the weather.

Tank params are ok (SG 1.026, Ca 450, Alk a bit low at 6.4, NH4/NO3/NO2 all at or near zero, temp 80*F) and the other Euphyllia in the tank (a green and a red Torch) are both looking just fine. Do Hammers have a reputataion for spontaneously croaking? I know they can sometimes button up and shut down for a bit, but the head I clipped yesterday was definitely dead.

Here's how the remaining head looked right after weekly maintenance this morning. Any ideas what could be going on?

sick-hammer.jpg

Not really, the polyps retracted for a day or so then just melted. I didn't see any signed of infection, slime, parasites, etc. It just died. The other head looks a bit better this morning (scratch)

My Alk buffer will arrive today, along with a new Seio (got sick and tired of futzing with a troublesome MJ mod). I'll bring the hardness into line and hopefully that'll please the Hammer. Thanks!