BAE-Buffing Acrylic Expert, where are you?

R-3

So who is the resident acrylic buffing expert around here? I have posted q's about this before but haven't got much of a response. It is getting to the point when I need to buff out the tank and was wondering who has the know how about this. There are a couple I know that used to be on here that did pretty good jobs on there tanks but they are not around anymore. So dont be shy, I need some help :)

Im really trying to decide if its worth buffing out or buying a new Deep Dimension tank from Marineland :) Later Ryan

I took a envision 225gallon down to 400 grit sand paper and worked my way up to 12000 grit micromesh, and then used a dewalt power buffer with novus 3 and 2 and it turned out great! Too bad it took about 40 or so hours to do,lol! There were a ton of scratches so I ended up doing the inside and out. I was lucky that the tank was large enough to stand in while on end so it wasnt so bad getting inside, just a real mess though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

I took a envision 225gallon down to 400 grit sand paper and worked my way up to 12000 grit micromesh, and then used a dewalt power buffer with novus 3 and 2 and it turned out great! Too bad it took about 40 or so hours to do,lol! There were a ton of scratches so I ended up doing the inside and out. I was lucky that the tank was large enough to stand in while on end so it wasnt so bad getting inside, just a real mess though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

Got any pix?

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the process. I used an orbital sander with sheets of 3m from 400 all the way to I believe 2500 was the highest that TAP plastics carried. Then I went from hand with micromesh from 3000-12000. I was talking with james at envision a short while after completing it and told him it would have been nice if I could have got larger sheets of micromesh to use in the orbital sander and he said that they were available, you just have to call and ask for them.

If it were me, I would call and get full size sheets of micromesh and use an orbital sander, I don't suspect that they will be cheap though...but neither is a new tank,lol. You can borrow my dewalt sander and buffer if you want.

I think that if you use the right sandpaper and right tools, it could go pretty fast, but may cost a bit.

Here is a bad pic of the whole tank after setting up...cant quite get the white balance right with my current camera...need a new camera for christmas,lol.

houseplumbing021.jpg

Mike

Looks like here is your guy for help to me...(clap) Great...always nice to see someone volunteer like that...(whistle)

Jay

How come all the harshness towards acrylic thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread(whistle) Just stirring the pot with all you glass haters out there(laugh) I myself have had a acrylic tank and will never go back(knock on wood) You never know what might come around here and there. Anyhow even glass will scratch as my little cube I have now has a nice 4 inch line down the front of itDOH! Not sure how it happened but it did. Oh and back on topic of sanding out the acrylic good luck not enough time or beer in the world to make me do that(naughty)

Why the hate? Because I am a clumsy oaf and no matter how hard I try I can't avoid scratching the bloody thing. I scrape off coralline. Scratch. I use the floating magnet to get off those grimy diatoms. Scratch. I polish the front glass with a special acrylic-polishing anti-static space-age super-shammy. Scratch. The dog farts while sleeping too close to the tank. Scratch. Glass from now on for me, tyvm.

The 55 gallon was acrylic...it took a couple of days and the scratch removal kit to get it good and after 15 or so years, that tank had some scratches! You have to do the ENTIRE surface, not just "an area". Talk about wax on wax off...the bi-cepts were bulging those days. Once the water was in, the small scratches couldn't be seen...

I would never have acrylic again either...It was way to difficult to work with...plus, the euro bracing makes it nearly impossible to get the coraline scrapped...I had huge bruises on my arms from that! Not to say that you don't have to be carefull with glass....

Isnt a glass tank much heavier then a acrylic tank? I have been thinking about replaceing my tank with a glass tank. Those of you that have been here know that my stand is quite tall and not exactly overbuilt for the weight. It makes me worry about it breaking....and if I replaced the acrylic with glass it would be that much heavier.

Jay