Camera suggestions

impur

Well a few drops of saltwater and a digital camera don't go well together, the LCD screen on my digi is crapping out. I figure its a good time to upgrade. I'm looking to spend 300-500 bucks and want to take some good macros as well as a good snapshot cam. Give me some examples of macros you've taken with your cam if you want too!!

I currently shoot with a Nikon D70, a digital SLR. In the past, I've used Nikon, Canon, and Olympus point'n'shoots. I'm partial to Canon's point'n'shoots, followed closely by Nikons. I'll shoot a few shots with a Canon and post them up for you tonight.

While I love my D70 to death, I don't think it's what impur is looking for. It has advantages (flexibility, control, expandability) but also has some serious disadvantages (cost, size, learning curve). Something like a Canon S80 might fit better (though it's macro performance isn't awesome). The Nikon P3/P4 might be a good fit, with it's better macro

Just for giggles, I took a few shots with a Sony Cybershot DSC-T5 and a Canon Powershot S50. Both cameras captured the scratches on my 2nd-hand acrylic tank, something I could easily avoid with my D70. Also, neither could get closer than about 2 feet -- Macro is a Nikon strength so check out the WAVES site for examples. Here's what I got:

The image from the Sony, after cropping, processing for exposure, sharpening and resampling to web-friendly resolution:

sony-small.jpg

The image from the Canon, after cropping, processing for exposure, sharpening and resampling to web-friendly resolution:

canon-small.jpg

The image from the Sony, after cropping, processing for exposure and sharpening:

sony.jpg

The image from the Canon, after cropping, processing for exposure and sharpening:

canon.jpg

The image from the Sony, as it came out of the camera:

sony-raw.jpg

The image from the Sony, as it came out of the camera:

canon-raw.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions guys, the canon really shows more color than the Sony. I'm not a big Sony fan anyhow. I'll have to go see my friend at video only and see what kind of deal i can get on the canon versus nikon then decide. Need to read some reviews as well. Thanks for steering me in the right direction!

Im looking into getting a Nikon d-70 shortly but a couple of months ago i did something novel...I READ the manual for this old Olypmus C-3000 zoom ive got and spent $100 on ebay for a macro lens. All of these were taken with that old 3.3 AFTER reading the directions..haha

Moral to the story is that there are a lot of different cameras that will take pretty good shots if you know how to work them......funny thing about that is that i accidentally reset my camera to defaults after getting them to where i want and now i suck again.......i need to find that manual

pics HERE