Is my water pure?

aqua-ed

How can you tell if water is pure enough to be used in a saltwater tank? I have an ion-exchange filter in my classroom that I use to purify my water for labs. I have been using it to top off my nano tank with no problems, but that tank only has a few softies. Does anyone know enough about ion exchange to tell me if the water is good enough? I am going to be filling my 55g soon and was wondering if that water is safe.

Thanks!

-Lee

I can't say much for ion exchange. But a simple TDS meter will tell you if the water has any solids left in it after filtering. They are pretty cheap, my Hanna handheld one was 20 shipped off ebay.

I would think an RO filter would be more effective than a simple ion exchange. I think the ion exchange would be similar to de-ionization. Just a guess though.

I just changed my pre-filter and carbon filter...they were nasty after 6 months! In 30 minutes of running my DI...1/8th of the resin had started changing color...got to love Newberg Water. Check your TDS frequently! If you filters require changing often...then you know you'll have to keep up to keep clean water!

Kris