different RO/DI thread

snowpunk

I have one of these units that came with my setup about a year and a half ago. It is the 3 piece one from equinox. I had always bought water from seahorse(rock2) so I just put it in the closet. Now I pulled everything extra out and I am curious as to how it actually functions both inside and outside.

I read over it a little and figured that it is a 720gpd unit, that is rated for 1000 gallons before it needs "a tune up/recharge" I don't know as I have never used one. I do tend to understand these types of things well, but I have never even looked into it at all. Is the one I have even worth using or what???

It says max rate of .5 gpm... so that would be 30gph, and 720 gpd, yea??? That does seem a little bit much compared to other ones I have been hearing about.

Now I have more questions because that is the label on the first tube, and all that seems to be is a water filter, which makes sense as to why it makes that much. I guess what I am really asking is what is going on in the tubes, and what should I check before I start trying to use this water in my tank. I know there are a few gurus out here that know all about this...:)

Guest LisaJill

If you decide to try to use this, at the very least use a TDS meter, and test nitrates and phosphates.

My other concern would be depending on what stages it covers - if it'll remove chlorine and chloramine if you have them; not sure if there are test kits readily available for those. Of course, Prime or similar can help you there if needed.

It sounds to me like it is just a 3-stage water filter and neither a RO nor DI unit. Considering it is an older equinox unit, I would guess the first stage is their standard 5 micron prefilter, the second stage is probably their special blend of activated carbon for organic compounds and the third stage is probably their blend of activated carbon and ceramic media for non-organics (lead, chlorine, etc.)

While using it would be better than using non-filtered tap water, it's not going to remove nearly as much as an actual RO/DI unit. But, depending on your tap water, it may be enough. I'd test the tap water and the filter output with a TDS meter and test for nitrates and phosphates to see what the difference is. If the output comes up clean, then I'd say use it. Or, you could always purchase just the RO and DI chambers to add to it for less than a whole new system.