Your guess on cycle time.

Michael7979

So I put some of my LR from the current tank in my 240 to help seed it. So here is the questions.....

1- How much rock would you put in?

2- Would you 'ghost' feed the tank while cycling?

3- How long do you think it will take/

Give me good answers because I'm getting antsy to put some stuff in the 240!!!!!!!!!

5 second rule!!!

I would give it a good week or so. Just keep an eye on your parameters. The only downside I can think of would be an algae bloom of some sort or mini-cycles when adding new livestock. Ive actually put dry rock directly in my display and had no issues. Actually, they start in the sump, and eventually make their way to the display after they are 'inspected'.

I would add as much live rock as you can. Are you buying new rock or do you have some already cycled?

1- How much rock would you put in?

Depends.... is the rock you have now QUALITY rock? I would seed the new rock with 50 pounds of old to get started and prevent a full cycle, the amount you end up with is user preference, but 50 pounds of cured rock will get that baby going well, seeding new rock can take a long time to fully cure, one option is large sump and run new rock in display and keep 50 pounds in a sump.

2- Would you 'ghost' feed the tank while cycling?

Never, unless all the rock is uncured and I had to do a full cycle, than I would do the raw shrimp seeding method.

3- How long do you think it will take/

Depends on how you do it. 50 pounds cured you should be able to avoid a cycle, I have every time. now new rock will take time to fully seed, so there are variables that you have to think about, plus well seeded rock usually needs to be cooked to get some sort of SOMETHING off it you don't like, so these are all things to consider.

what I have done in the past is to basically watch the levels. initially all levels will be low when you put your rocks in... if the rocks are uncure, you will get a spike in Nitrite, Ammonia and Nitrate. Watch the cycle and once they come down, your tank is pretty much cycled. I have cycled tanks within a couple of weeks to a month or two. It just depends on how much die-off there are. If the rocks is from your old tank, then it will not take as long as you will have less die-off. And water changes are important.

Hope this helps.

I'm in the process of moving all my rocks and live stock from my main tank into my prop tanks. You remember my prop tanks Mike. But only setting up 2 for now. And my goal is to complete it by Friday night or at least in 3 hours. Then I'll be doing multiple water changes to help keep the Ammonia level down. Done this in the past and worked well.

Definately make sure that you put as much really good live rock in there as you can. The more you put in the faster things will go. Also good live sand will help to seed your dry sand and really speed stuff up. Getting some life in there will help as well. I wouldn't hesitate at all with adding a few less sensative pieces of your cleanup crew at the beginning of the second week. This will help keep some of that detrius and diatom algae down while your tank gets where it needs to be.

With enough live rock and live sand, you really don't have to wait all that long. Obviously the more the marrier here, but to get a few fish in there actually will help things out alot. Just make sure they are hardy, less expensive fish that you wont mind being in there for years. A lawnmower blenny would be one of my first picks as it is part of your cleanup crew anyway.

Garrett