Yellow tang gone missing

rider

ok, so i got this small yellow tang 4 days ago. got home today and can't find him any were.

Looked in the over flow, hood, floor, and fan. I tried looking behind the rocks and in the cracks,

but can't see him any were. do fish just hide were you can't see them at all, even at feeding time.

heres a pictures of him. now, i keep telling my wife that rock looks like a skull, but she can't see it.

am i crazy or what? (nutty)

DSCF3811.JPG

DSCF3812.JPG

DSCF3813.JPG

Have you noticed the other fish picking on him since you added him? He may just be hiding out from them. My tangs would play hide and seek all the time. They would find the smallest possible crack they could wedge themselves into and just sit there, but usually not for more the 30 minutes. They do the same thing at night when they sleep.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Whenever I first get a tang it will hide as much as possible for the first 2-4 weeks. Even at feeding time. There is enough current that some food gets near it and it can eat. After a little while they have started to get brave and venture out more and more. Now the tang that I have will practically eat out of my fingers.

dsoz

he showed up, but not they way i had hoped. not sure how he died. I didn't see anyone picking on him, and he was runnin around right off the bat. check my levels and everthing is perfect. guy at the lfs credited me for him, so i guess ill try another yellow tang. kinda sad though, i liked that little guy. he was fun to watch. very playful.

ok as far as the rock goes, no one can realy see the skull but me. confirming my wifes idea that im am crazy (nutty). Ok that rock looks like the skull of an eel. the cave is the mouth.

dont have a qt tank, best i can do i have the lfs hold him in there tank for a couple weeks. cant convice the wife to let me put up a 40 gallon qt. ohh well. we all do our best. found this tang that i have seen in there front tank for a few weeks.

SOOOOOO, i put him in the tank. fed the tank a little extra today just to see if i could get him to eat. nothin yet. saw him hanging out by the skull. went back to check on him 15 minutes later, and gone. no sign of him at all. he was larger than the other. am i just not ment to have a yellow tang in my tank. or did the skull eat him. I have a very small blue tang that is doing well, and has been for a while. not sure what is going on with the yellow tangs. come to think of it, when i first got into the hobby years ago with a fish only tank. i bought a yellow tang who commited suicide by jumping out of the water into the lid of the tank repeatedly until he killed himself. I must be cursed from the yellow tangs.

i think the skull ate him (scary)

ok, so i was storing this large piece of rock with some star polyps, shrooms, and xenia on it and he finaly came to pick it up. so i thought it would be the perfect opertunity to ravage my tank for the man down. SoOOOOOooOOOO, i move my rock were i realy wanted it (pain in the @ss, but glad its finaly were i want it.) and moved half the rock in my tank, but still no sign of the man down. wouldn't he have came out to at least check what was going on, or would he have dug down deeper in a crack?

so now i have a pretty decent aquascape that i had been planning. just need to wait for a couple small peices to cure, so i can fill in a couple areas. but, i made the skulls mouth a deeper cave with more exits, the fish realy like it. and i made an archway for them as well, the shrimp realy likes it.

I'll take some pics once all my stuff isn't as pissed off at me as it is right now. Probably take some tomorrow.

So, back to the yellow tang, there was no sign of a dead body, so i have high hopes. Lets poor a drink for the little bugger, "and stair at the skull". It's margarita time.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but it might be gone. I bought a real nice wrasse a few weeks ago and after aclimating it threw it in the tank. Well watched it swim around for a bit and then when the other fish came out it disapeared. Long story short it was gone for a week and then my son goes whats that fish in there dadDOH! It was the head of my wrasse being eaten by the pepermint shrimp(flame) Thats all that was left of it.

Hope your situation is better!

the tang was a little bigger, but man that would suck, i tried to stir the water up behind the rocks i couldnt move because of some corals, but saw nothing. So, either he is dead and jammed in some corner, or he is alive and well, just hiding to torment me. i moved the rock my roase anenome is sitting on, and ohh man is he pissed at me, but slowly coming back. He sucked himself all the way back into the rock. it is realy amazing how small those guys can shrivel up to.

ok, so my greens star polyps and my rose anenome are still a little pissed at me for moving things around. so is my frog spawn. but, heres some pictures of the new aquascape. what do ya think?

aquascape%20002.jpg

BEWARE THE SKULL CAVE,

aquascape%20003.jpg

aquascape%20004.jpg

aquascape%20005.jpg

I still have a few pieces to add, but I have to wait for them to cure.