electrician?

vanz

Anyone here an electrician or knows any one that could install some outlets? I'm pretty sure a few of you had fish rooms built that needed extra outlets installed.

just want to see how much it would cost to do this. I have a couple of outlets but they are in odd places and no where near where I want them to be, especially the one inside the furnace room.

Here's an image of my storage area that I might convert into a small fish room. The blue circles are where I want outlets. The pink colored ones are the current ones. The most important one is the top, where it's inside the furnace room. Is there a simple way to just piggyback that from the opposite side?

post-71-141867772013_thumb.jpg

It all depends on what ELSE is on that same circuit. If that is the circuit for your furnace, then you do NOT want to put a fish tank load of equipment on it.

IMO, a fish tank should have at least 2 dedicated circuits, especially any tank over 30 gallons. One circuit for the lights and maybe a powerhead, and the other for all the other pumps and stuff.

dsoz

is there an attic or crawl space, or an open basement. if not, you will need to tare into the walls. He's right. you dont want to running anything else off your furnace plug. If all those plugs are for fish tanks. I would run dedicated circuits for them. depends what kind of draw all of your equipment takes, for how many circuits you would need. If the other plugs you are adding are just general purpose plugs, then you might be able to run them off your other plugs. It all depends whats on that circuit.

peace,

It all depends on what ELSE is on that same circuit. If that is the circuit for your furnace, then you do NOT want to put a fish tank load of equipment on it.

IMO, a fish tank should have at least 2 dedicated circuits, especially any tank over 30 gallons. One circuit for the lights and maybe a powerhead, and the other for all the other pumps and stuff.

dsoz

I checked the breaker box this morning and found that the furnace is on a dedicated circuit from the garage lights and outlets. So it appears safe to just add outlets. I'm not doing a full scale fish room, just probably moving my junk from the main living area so it doesn't look messy. Having 2 dedicated circuits is ideal, and I'll look into it.

is there an attic or crawl space, or an open basement. if not, you will need to tare into the walls. He's right. you dont want to running anything else off your furnace plug. If all those plugs are for fish tanks. I would run dedicated circuits for them. depends what kind of draw all of your equipment takes, for how many circuits you would need. If the other plugs you are adding are just general purpose plugs, then you might be able to run them off your other plugs. It all depends whats on that circuit.

peace,

My garage is on the first floor of my townhouse. So no attic and no crawl space. Concrete slab construction. I'm hoping to move our 2 computers down there also.

I am an electrician. Send me a PM with your contact info & I'll give you a call.

Dave

PMing you soon!