Ne, NE Portland

rider

I started in about 2002 with a 29 gal glass tank with a 2x4 stand. It had a canaster filter and an undergravel filter. I had

a banded bambo shark that i had from an egg, a lion fish and a couple clowns.

heres a couple pictures.

DSC00022.JPG

I then purchased a 55 gal plexi with hood, stand, wet/dry, and a submersible pump. I bought another

shark egg and raised him as well. I had that tank for about 2 years. I bought a imperator angel from

petco from an idiot for about 14.99(gotta love minimum wage.) I had my first daughter, and things

started getting busy. then the second came and things were very busy. so i sold off the rock and

livestock and stored the tank. I eventualy sold it, DAHHHH. DOH!

DSC00063.JPG

55%20gal%20tank.jpg

swimming%20shark.jpg

So, my wife gave me some money for my birthday to put togeather a new tank. I bought a used

freshwater tank and stand off CL for about 300, then about 600 later, from plumbing refinishing the

stand, building the sump out of a 20 gallon tank, and parts and materials from tap plastic, putting MH

lighting in, putting cooling for MH lighting in, pump, skimmer, and misc. materials. Its finally done. well

almost. i still want a few other things, but they can come later. like the calcium reactor and the

oceans motions. here is the tank now. I will post more pictures later.

glad i found a place with local people i can talk to.

DSCF3764.JPG

Welcome to the group. Glad that you found us.

Very nice looking tank. I hope that your copperband does not take a liking to your corals. I do know that they eat tube-worms.

Are you going to try to make it to the BBQ this Sunday? It is in Tigard, and would be a good time to meet a lot of us. :)

dsoz

you know, i was talking to the LFS guy about that, and he was telling me that certain copperbands are reef safe. I beleive he said australian or somthing like that. I have been watching him carfully. So far, he is keeping his mouth to him sell. We are bringing to the kids to the state fair this weekend, other wise i would say yeah. If that plan changes, I'll let you know.

thx,

I had a copperband that was a model citizen until it randomly disapeared about 3 months after I got it. He did wipe out all of the tiny feather dusters that had gotten all over the back of the rocks, but other than that didn't bug anything else in the tank. I liked the little guy so it was sad that he went missing.

Nice looking setup!

Garrett

My tank is a 55 gal, it has dual 250w metal halides, 2 ten inch fans for cooling. I only have one on normaly, the other cools the tanks down on hot days. I have a 20 gal refurgium, a coralife 125 skimmer, a gen-x pcx30 pump for my return. I'm saving to get an oceans motions and a pump. If you look at the picture you will see the 4 white caps on the back of the tank. those are plumbed down below and are my returns for my future ocean motions system. they intake for they system is a little lower behind the rock. Yeah, the under gravel filter was pretty good huh. That system never had a single problem. It was also easy to clean. I would just get a vacume that would pick up some of the rocks and get all the debri out. and then clean the hang on filter out, which would catch most of the debri.

I also have a 40 gal tank i have been refinishing. Probably going to be all fish. my wife realy likes box fish and urchants. I have the sump, pump and tank for it. the tank looked like someone tried to clean the take by taking a piece of live rock and scrapping it on the acrylic. realy nice huh. it has deep scratches and gouges. So, the novice system i used didn't take hardly any scratches out, only the fine ones. so i picked up some buffing wheels, a drill attachment, and 2 of these wax looking blocks. 1 is for buffing out scraches and the other polishes. after using the buffing pads and blocks, I used the novus system to get any fine scrachs that were left out, and now i have a brand new 40 gal acrylic tank. It hasn't been drilled, but also doesn't have an overflow. Im going to put in an overflow and run all my plumbing up through that, so i can put it tight up agains the wall. I should have taken some before an after pictures. It was realy impressive the size of scratches i was able to get out. my friend had bought a tank and it had some scratches as well, so we split the cost of all the materials. I was about 25 or 30 each.