Return Pump ??

pantherguy30

I'd go with an Eheim or an Ocean Runner. They're both really efficient and quiet, and are a lot higher quality than the Gen-X/Sedra pumps. The OR will last forever, the Eheim forever plus a day ;) They are a *bit* more expensive (like, the cost of a frag...) but worth every penny IMO.

I'd go with an Eheim or an Ocean Runner. They're both really efficient and quiet' date=' and are a lot higher quality than the Gen-X/Sedra pumps. The OR will last forever, the Eheim forever plus a day ;) They are a *bit* more expensive (like, the cost of a frag...) but worth every penny IMO.[/quote']

Great pumps!

I'm looking for about 900 gph w/ about 3-4 feet of lift. I have visited a few LFS and most recomend either a gen x or the snapper. Not sure if I said this before but I have two 1/2" returns and I plan to put valves on them to control the flow. It just seems as if there are a million options out there and I just want to do this right the first time hopefully.

gen-x 6100 is still not quite enough. snapper not sure. And there is a million and one options, Yes the can has been opened. This may sound fully but not meant to. We find it better to be still in answering such a question as what has been a total success for one on the same pump has been a nightmare for another. There all mass produced. Where all looking for the best value, but it isn't always the best value. I have used gen-x for years. they are not the most quiet. There also used allot as the supplier is local so the LFS can get them fast. I don't have mush experience with other pumps, except the Eheim. Dam thing is soooo quiet I'm always checking to see it it was running!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've got an OR, which I like. But I will be getting an Eheim and use the OR as a back-up. If you are SURE you will stay in the hobby I would suggest getting the best. The return pump is just too essential piece of equipment to save money on by getting less than the best. IMHO.

I Do like to save $$, however.

Miles (Impur) has a modified Octopus skimmer that runs rings around my relatively expensive Euro Reef.

I'm gonna have to plumb out my sump for an external. After putting my skimmer in there and it's pump I literaly would have to squeeze the big Eheim into the leftover space. I didn't realize this untill I got the visual by putting everything in there. I personaly feel that the Snapper is overkill. I have heard a lot of good things about Iwaki pumps, but man they are expensive. Gen X on the other hand saves me some cash but I have heard so many mixed opioins on them.

I agree with genx being noisy!!

I'm going to replace it soon with an eheim since I only hear good things about it. Plus it's very silent. What's a good model for a 40 gallon with a 10 gallon sump? There are (2) 1/2" return lines. I want it to be similar to the genx 2400 I'm currently using...just without the noise.

Those of you running in-sump pumps, do you use any kind of padding?

Just priced the BIG Eheim (1262 Hobby Pump 898 gph with a max head of 11.8 feet at 80 watts) on Drs Fosters....not too bad actually. Compared to what I spent on the mag drives this is darn affordable for me!

With the plan of the sump being in the garage I can limit the head pressure a bit as well.

PS...that price was the best I found for that pump.

Kris

I ended up purchasing the Eheim 1262 off of Marine Depot. I saw that it was cheaper on Dr Foster and Smith but after shipping It came out to be more. I picked up the Lumen Max III 250w HQI w/ a PFO HQI ballast w/ lamp cord to splice and fit the ballast. They didn't have the Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 250 Watt HQI Ballast anymore? I went with the 1500 k 250w XM bulb for that fixture so we'll have to see how it does. The main things left to purchase are about 40-50 pounds of live rock and some sand. It's amazing how much all this adds up too! I will post some pics as soon as I can get it all up and running.

Are we all talking in sump or some external, I havent had an in sump pump for 3-4 years then you could get a genx 2400 for 35-40$ at the LFS, I did line the bottom of the cabinet with 1/2" foam board that helped alot with the vibration and the echo in the cabinet with any of the pumps

I'm running a genx 30 and 40 external, with my skimmer, cal reactor, sump with overflow all in the base cabinet I thought was pretty quiet but I've been sticking my head in the cabinet every 30 mins after reading this post to see whats making what as far as noise, with the doors closed I thought it was pretty quiet but maybe I'm used to it!!

I'm in the process of moving the sump out and a 40g fuge behind the tank, I'll still have the pumps in the cabinet so i'd like to know or "hear" :) about some other pumps, my pumps are 3+ years old. The genx 40

1190 gph are running 165.00

Mini hijack in progress...

Just wanted to ask a question about return pumps. Can these pumps be "throttled down" either electronically or with a ball valve? Or is it easier on the pump to do something like run a "T" off the return line and put half of the output directly back into the sump. I'm asking cuz I'm already thinking of making my first upgrading out of the 29g and it might be wise to just get a larger return pump now for the second upgrade that will surely come in a couple years:p

You can go either way, splitting the output or just putting a valve on the return. I've got a ball valve on my return, and throttle the Eheim way back. There are some pumps (Darts, for example) that are actually *more* efficient when you increase the head pressure. If your future upgrade is a couple of years away, you might not be doing yourself much of a favor by buying a bigger pump now; it's probably worth doing the math on the extra electricity used and the wear on the pump (particularly if you buy a cheaper pump...)

Andy

Do you have the ehimen in or out of the sump, is it plumbed or vinyl. right now my 40 is running thru the chiller and then return split to 2 seaswirls at 5'. my 30 is split to the skimmer and then return to a scwd at 5' they maintain about a 3/4" rise in the water level which I need

On the smaller eheims I use a slightly smaller vinyl hose and then heat the hose with a lighter, then push it onto the eheim while it's still hot and mushy. Works well, but you do have to cut the hose off. Been running my eheim like this for at least 6 months, maybe longer.

I also run my eheim in sump. Very nice pump.

HTH