Lawnmowers are AWESOME

downhill_biker

Lawnmower Blennies are so neat. They have great personalities, if you look closely...nice colors, and they do lots of clean up work. I just think they are so great, and thought I would post this and see what others thought of their Lawnmower Blennies. Mine seems to think the clam is it's perch for hanging out.

corals006-1.jpg

corals004-1.jpg

While I to think that Lawnmower Blennies are pretty, I am not sure I would describe them as "nice colors" (yes I see the blue, red and yellow dots).

It reminds me of a talk I saw once on a FW fish family, Goodeidae. The author stated something to the fact that since most of the fish in this particular family are gray, and brown that they had to create some new colors to describe them. Such as, charcoal, pewter, taupe, sand, earthen.... well you get the idea.

Mine is named Jaba (as in "The Hutt"). He is an intergalactic gangster, and he is fat, and sits on his big rock and laughs at Jedi clownfish all day long... Ho, Ho, Ho, Ho, Jedi pudu...

Ok back to the real world, not one long ago and far, far away...

Jaba was the master of the tank. He has caused an orange spot goby to jump, a firefish to jump, and is suspected in the death of Wave the clownfish too. He used to chase every new fish around the tank... That is until the new master, powder brown tang was introduced a month or so ago. Just tonight I saw the powder brown chase Jaba around the tank. I did not have much sympathy for the poor guy. Maybe the extra exercise will help him decrease his "beer gut" physique.

I too love my Lawnmower. :)

BTW, my wife thinks he is ugly, and looks like an eel.

dsoz

• 3 weeks later...

I think the algae or lawnmower Benny is one of the most interesting of the readily available fishes in our hobby. They really are such personalities and they are just plain amazing to watch swim about the tank pecking at rocks and glass. I have had several over the years, Currently I think there are 4 in my tanks and they are each very unique in personality. Some will act like super hungry fish, eating everything I throw into the tank and others will only eat algae build up on the rocks, clam shells, and glass. Amazing little critters. I too find their coloration up close to be quite amazing!

dsoz, I had one named Jaba too! Lol funny how that works.

Garrett

Yes they have great personalities.

Everytime I get ready to trade mine, my Mother-In-Law has a fit. She thinks it might be on an evolutionary fast track! I try to explain that it just doesn't have a swim bladder, but to no avail.

When it starts speaking to her, she goes into a rest home...

• 4 weeks later...