Bare Bottom Tank

spectra

Ok am going to be setting up a new tank here in the next few months. Lately my 30 has been acting up. Well came home today to find my cucumber had buried my acans with sand then one of my conchs crawled into the duncansDOH! Well story now conch might be dead and also duncans are all closed up and pissed off(flame) So let me know what you think of bare bottom tanks. I really like my nesarius snails and conchs but if it is going to cause problems will just for go the sand and try something else. Also new tank is going to have a bunch of flow so sand might not stay in place. Any and all coments are welcome so let me know what you think.

Thanks(rock2)

Good question with a million answers. These are just a few thoughts. Every one of them will have pro's and con's by all. Will you be loosing any bio diversity? Your readings are great. What will you loose in food source with no sand. Do you have a Mandarin Gobi? Will you do a DSB bucket? You can increase flow without "dust storms" Have less debris. Are you going to raise your rock? Are you going to do a faux sand bed? Have you thought of changing some of the critters.

I have always had sand beds. great success with them. Never crashed. I will be doing a BB with white board and faux sand bed with raised rock and separate sand bed. So lets see how many thought are out there.

I have had my DSB for about 7 years now and do nothing to maintain it but have snails. Not that I havent had my problems but most of the time its easy sailing. I couldnt imagine having a reeftank without sand but thats just me and I have seen some amazing tanks without sand but many many more with sand.

Jay