I got a great deal on bulbs

Jay

I got some new bulbs from " The Lighting Dudes " ebay store. I have tried ebay bulbs before and gotten crap but these all had excellent feedback so I took the plunge and put up my cash. I ordered 2 250 watt 12k bulbs from them for 25$ each free shipping. Which is less then half price of regular name brand bulbs. I would say these are manufactured by coralvue as thel look just like them. Awesome color really pops. Just wanted to let you all know about a good deal. I know some of you will say you spend so much on everything why scrimp on bulbs. I just like to try new products and save money. Sometime I lose and sometime I win. This time I win and am gonne buy 2 more just for backup. I may try the 10k even though I really like the 12K. Does anyoe know where to get deals on VHO bulbs? I need 2 48 inch 110 watt actinics

Jay

I got these from here:>>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Ships-FREE-250-watt-mogul-base-MH-12-K-Reef-lighting_W0QQitemZ170218660388QQihZ007QQcategoryZ46314QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I'll check it out I have gotten bad bulbs the last 2 times i've ordered at marine depot they went out about a month after i got them. havent seen that manufac before have you used that brand before

Also I keep all my used bulbs (1 year) if anyone is interested i have lots of 175 and 400 used

This was the first time I have used the lighting dudes. So far they are great. The last bulbs I got were Reeflux and one of them cracked after about 2 months. I used it cracked for about 2 weeks till it quit working.

Jay

The are mogel socket but they also have DE bulbs. I will get a picture up today. I really like them and have noticed my sps corals growth has increased some....which is expected because I had old bulbs before.

These are the 12K bulbs. Nice and bright. The pictures just dont do them justice.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ships-FREE-250-watt-mogul-base-MH-12-K-Reef-lighting_W0QQitemZ170218660388QQihZ007QQcategoryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jay

attachment.php?attachmentid=2807&stc=1&d=1217698362

attachment.php?attachmentid=2808&stc=1&d=1217698362

attachment.php?attachmentid=2810&stc=1&d=1217698362

attachment.php?attachmentid=2811&stc=1&d=1217698362

attachment.php?attachmentid=2812&stc=1&d=1217698362

post-199-141867739711_thumb.jpg

post-199-141867739715_thumb.jpg

post-199-141867739718_thumb.jpg

post-199-141867739722_thumb.jpg

post-199-141867739726_thumb.jpg

jay, what kind of ballasts are you running. i am thinking of trying these bulbs as well, but dont know if they will look that good with my odyssea ballasts. i wouldnt want them to be any bluer, and if my ballasts under power them, they will be even more blue.

i will probably wait to get mine. i would like to see what kind of growth you get from these, if you would be willing to keep track, and let me know how well the corals grow under the new lighting.

Oh its hard to tell. Ive had Reeflux and XM and Radium along with a few others. These seem to me to just as good as the reeflux but without a par meter or having them side by side its hard to tell. I would say these look just as good as XM....not better but just as good IMO. We will se how they are in 8 months, thats the thing. Seems like all bulbs lose some of their color are pop about 3-4 months after they are new.

Jay

jeffp' date=' what brand of 14k did you have? can you post some pics as well. that would be greatly appreciated. i really want brightness over color, and have 10k now, but if i can go with these and get good brightness and a little more color i would love that.[/quote']

Downhill,

Don't you need DE bulbs? If I remember right, JeffP's are SE's.

I havent seen the DE bulbs. You could ask them if they are as good of quality but of course they would say they are great. He does seem to be honest and promptly returned my emails. Its been my experience that 10k bulbs seem much brighter then 10 o 14k. This goes for all brands. The 10k bulbs seem like they punch down deeper and make the shimmer lines more then the bluer bulbs. I have their 12k as I said and like them very much. Im going to probably buy another set so I will have them. Never know what will be availible next year.

Jay

I just looked yesterday, and they did have 250w DE bulbs. I just am debating whether to buy them. i like the blue look, but on the other hand like the power and punch of the 10k. i have actinics so that helps. just thinking of trying something different. Hopefully jeffp posts some pics as well and maybe that will help me visualize it a little more.

JeffP,

Pics? Before and After

Yeah - mine are SE. 175W.

I don't know if I have any pics with the 14000k kicking around, but I'll scrape the glass and wait until the ambient light goes down in the room tonight and take some shots (if I remember).

jeffp' date=' what brand of 14k did you have? can you post some pics as well. that would be greatly appreciated. i really want brightness over color, and have 10k now, but if i can go with these and get good brightness and a little more color i would love that.[/quote']

The 14000k were reefoptics also an ebay special.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey JeffP, would you be able to post a few pics? I would greatly appreciate it, I am still trying to decide whether or not I want to buy these bulbs.

Jay, have you had any difference in the bulb color after the break in period?

Sorry - haven't had a chance. and the battery is dead after the soap box derby.

I will say though, that these bulbs in conjunction with my getting ca/alk/mg all in line has brought back the color in my red monti cap, and I even my monti spongode which was suffering (along with moving it to lower light). And growth on my sunset monti has started - along with other corals that were sitting still. Again though, this was after running 14000ks - so dropping to 12000k might have also had something to do with the that.