Newer rock cycle ??

wegotjs

What is peoples experience on getting Rock at LFS and If it need's to cycle or not. I am thinking about getting new rock from a LFS and I know it has been in his rock tank's for at least 6 month's .I would think that it would be as cycled as much as it could.

My coral's are all at dennis's so that isn't a problem but my fish are still in the tank and I don't want to lose any if there is a big cycle with lot's nitrite .AnyBody do this and leave there fish in.

Jon

If it smells clean, I add it to the tank. Or, at least, I used to.. the last batch of rock I added brought along a crop of aiptasia. From now on, I'll be quarantining all new rock until I'm sure it's pest-free.

It depends how long the rock is out of the water. The longer it is out of the water the greater the die off, which means the bigger the cycle. If you don't want this to happen keep the rock submerged when you move it from lfs to your tank. It may not matter at all if you already have a substantial amount of lr in your tank that is already cured. Just to be safe whenever I add lr to my display I always throw them in a 5 gallon bucket w/powerhead and heater and let it sit overnite and then test the water the next morning for ammonia and nitrite. This way you can be absoultely sure.

Rock

I buy most of my rock from seahorse aquarium and I have not had any problems with just adding it to the tank. The wrap all their rock in wet newspaper for you to take it home and it smells good when I get it home so I just throw it in the tank.

I personally think it depends on how your rock is treated prior to retail sale. If its barged over to the states it will probably need to be "cured". If its flown over it is probably ok to just put it in.

How do you know? Generally by comparing prices at the same store, (barging is cheeper, then flying), but you should always ask.