Help planning out a new tank

biomekanic

I thought I'd check in with the PNWMAS hivemind about this, as many of you are much more accomplished at DIY stuff than I am.

The tank itself will be a 29g.

I was over on "that other site" and saw this:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1375191

Using pond foam covered in sand ( the issue of pond foam deterioating under MH lighting is discussed in the thread, which is why the pond foam is covered in resin and sand ) as a back wall.

I would like to do an overflow, closed loop, and here's the fun part: a PCV or acrylic frame on the back to suspend the rock from.

The look I'm going for is rocks jutting out of a reef wall, with space under them. I'd like have a pair of jawfish and a pair of shrimp & gobies down in the sandbed.

My drawing skills suck, which is why there isn't a graphic with this.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this type of foam work, and any ideas on doing the foam rock wall on the back.

Questions I had include:

Drill the overflow, returns, and CL first and foam around them, or do the foam/sand/rock and drill through?

With the frame for the rock, if I use PVC, cap the ends and run a footer around the front of the tank? Have tubes coming up out of the footer so the return comes through there, making sure the bottom of the tank has flow.

I was considering one of the new Vortech nano's for wavemaking.

Depending on room, I'd use either another 29g or a 20g standard as a sump/refugium. The skimmer would go down there.

Well, I'm going for a Caribbean tank, so not a lot of coral options, this is more of a FOWLR ( or Fish With Some Coral Live Rock ) tank. Mostly I want the "shelf" space so there's room in the sandbed for the jawfish and pistol/goby pairs. I was thinking the overhand would be good for a Royal Gramma or a Blackcap basslet to hand around upside down under. Some chalk bass for dither fish, and away I go.