Drilling tanks

defigart

Not sure on the size of bit. I think it is around 1 1/2 but not sure. Will look this weekend and post up. Hell at the rate this project is going will not be drilling it for a few monthsDOH!

If the tank breaks oh well it is a 10$ Petco special. I think I have spent more than that on things that only last a few days or get eaten by other thingsDOH!

Will try and take a pic or to but my camera sucks so we will see.

I just drilled a 10g tank a couple of weeks ago (right as school was getting out). I used silicone to put an extra piece of scrap glass (with the same size hole) around the hole in the tank to give it more strength. With the pressure of the bulkhead, the extra piece of glass did crack (I was hoping that it would not), but the tank still holds water. I then made an overflow out of more scrap glass. It looks horrible, but it works. I may be able to get pictures of it up later.

dsoz

Yes you can drill the sides & bottom of a 10g tank. We (Brian & I) have sucessfully drilled over 40 tanks for our systems. A 1-3/4" hole saw is the standard size for a 1" bulkhead. The glass is thin and will crack if the bit binds but all in all not ver difficult. We found it the best to make a jig out of a pice of 1/4" acrylic to hold the bit in place when making multiple cuts that require repetition. The jig also helps hold the bit in place so that it doesn't walk around and scratch the tank.

Dave

^^^ That is how I drilled all the 1/8" glass for my sons overflow on his 29. Just took a hole saw and drilled a pc of plywood then clamped the glass to the wood and turned on the hose and drilled away. Made quick work out of it and did not crack.