Surpirse babies!!!!!

mrgreenthumb

So I woke up this morning just in time to see my male H. barbouri giving birth. This was a major surprise because he has been courting with the ladies night and day and I just assumed he was inflating his pouch(my reidi have been knonw to keep their pouches inflated for weeks at a time so I don't like to get my hopes up). I was super excited too because this male had a little air in his pouch about a month ago so its good to know he is fully recovered with no lasting effects. No total count yet becuase he is still squirting them out. Here are some pictures for your enjoyment!!!

Here is daddy with a tail sneaking out of his pouch

attachment.php?attachmentid=2603&stc=1&d=1214436396

And some of the babies

attachment.php?attachmentid=2600&stc=1&d=1214436464

attachment.php?attachmentid=2601&stc=1&d=1214436516

attachment.php?attachmentid=2602&stc=1&d=1214436516

attachment.php?attachmentid=2605&stc=1&d=1214436739

post-2156-141867771237_thumb.jpg

post-2156-14186777124_thumb.jpg

post-2156-141867771242_thumb.jpg

post-2156-141867771245_thumb.jpg

post-2156-141867771248_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the fry. That male is very pretty. My female barb just swam over close to the screen and is all excited, or maybe she's just hungry.

Can I ask you for an odd favor?

I'm working on a new article and need to know the size of the barb babies. :D I have no barb fry to measure and the 3 sources I have differ from my memory. Thanks

Does anyone have a good 101 article on keeping seahorses? They're really cool, and something I'd like to learn more about.

-Sol

Whatever you want to know about seahorses I got you.

There are actually quite a few seahorse keepers on the boards. I belong to a site that specializes in seahorses and I'd link you our beginners guide but we just took it down to rewrite it.

You don't have to reinvent the wheel. It's a normal slat water system, with less flow, cooler temps, and places for the seahorses to wrap there tails around. Getting a true aqua cultured CB specimen will give you a much better start then most as well.

Hey if you like beer we can meet up and talk about it in person if you like. We do some meet and greets in Beaverton with a few other seahorse keepers too.

Kevin- believe it or not they range in size none smaller than 1/2in from tip of tail to tip of snout' date=' but most are right around 1 inch. It's great i know!! Love seeing the big fry after trying my hand at the reidi. Sol- I believe you will find what you need here [url']http://www.seahorse.org/library/articles.shtml[/url]

An inch. Wow I didn't remember them being that big. What are you feeding Daddy?

The species paper say the average fry size is .5cm, my memory was closer to .5". Guess that's why i trying to recompile them. :D

An inch. Wow I didn't remember them being that big. What are you feeding Daddy?

The species paper say the average fry size is .5cm, my memory was closer to .5". Guess that's why i trying to recompile them. :D

Daddy and mommy eat solely pe mysis. I used to enrich, but recently changed my view on that and just give them to them plain. Once a week I feed all my seahorses and reef tank live adult brine enriched with selcon, natu rose, algamac 3050, isochrysus, and vitamin C. Its a pretty yummy mix and smells great..... Babies are started out immediately on 48 hour enriched bbs and after about 3 weeks most are on to frozen cyclopeeze.

This morning I was surprised again when I looked into the southern erectus tank!! More Babies!!!!! I've had a busy day! Here they are in a bowl being transfered to their nursery. It has only been a little overwhelming(laugh). BBS runnin out my (censored). I'm sure some of you can relate!! This was the first bowl of three. No final count lost track around 100

attachment.php?attachmentid=2609&stc=1&d=1214524111

attachment.php?attachmentid=2610&stc=1&d=1214524111

attachment.php?attachmentid=2611&stc=1&d=1214524111

post-2156-141867739467_thumb.jpg

post-2156-14186773947_thumb.jpg

post-2156-141867739472_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Update!!!! All horsies are doing great have lost only 4 barbs out of 80 and about 50 out of the 200 erectus fry. My second barb male gave birth about a week ago, and now both males are expecting again, but it gets better!! Last week a friend brought in some fuscus from ora. I have been trying for about 6 months to get a male/female pair, so I was pretty excited!! Well ora promised 4 pairs and unfortunately when they came in they were all males! Bummer I thought! About 5 mins after my friend called me to tell me they were all male he called back to say one of them could possibly be preganant!!!!!! He brought him over and I placed him and the nursurey and kept my fingers crossed!! Woke up sunday morning and was making my rounds and low and behold their were 12 fuscus babies all alive and doing great!!! They have already tripled in size and are heartily taking down 48 hr enriched brine!!! Serves ora right for trying to corner the market by not releasing any females!!!

• 3 weeks later...