Tropic Marin sea salt - I have questions

markdadof2

OK, so it looks like the Tropic Marin sea salt I won at the Bob Fenner talk is a good salt. Do any of you folks use it? What has your experience been with it?

I currently use Red Sea salt, but if I wanted to start using the Tropic Marin is it OK to have both types of salt in my tank? How should I go about introducing a new salt, or should I?

Also, my new Sunpod 150 MH just arrived (I wish I were home) and how would you guys reccomend 'breaking in' the tank to much higher lighint than my current PC light? I have a 14g nano. Should I just run the Halide for 2-3 hours the first few days then ramp up the time by an hour a day until I am at 8-10 hours?

I imagine I will need to move my Xenia down lower in the tank so it does not get 'blinded by the light'!

Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Mark

Yeah turn the photoperiod way down and build it back up gradually.

With the salt:

I have heard of people starting out with 25% new salt and 75% old salt when doing water changes. And then working up to a full 100% down the road.

Personally i have never been that careful and just mix it up little by little and I have had no problems in the past.

How much salt did you get?

If you make small water changes I don't think you'll have a problem. although if your worried I'll take the salt!(whistle).. I only use Tropic Marin in my reef and I love the salt. I wish we could get it reasonably here in Portland. As for lighting I'd cut back the photo period to about 4 hours and move it up an hour every week or two depending on how the corals look..

get a few layers of window screen material to put over the tank and then every few days to a week take a layer off. if you get 4 layers then it will take like 3-4 weeks to remove them. that should give the corals plenty of time to adjust.

cheese cloth would work too if you have it lying around the house already.

I used about 100gal worth of Tropic Marin on my tank at home. I loved it! The problem is I couldnt sell the stuff even at cost so I quit carrying it. So I wont be using it at home any longer.

I may switch to D&D salt which is easier to get with SLS distribution.

You and Jordan should of tried out your sample buckets by now' date=' I want feedback![/quote']

I had just done a water change the night before when you dropped off my bucket. jordan did his first water change last night.

Ive got some nitrates at home, so Ill be doing a water change in the next few days.

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update on the Tropic Marin salt - so far I am quite impressed. It mixes up cleaner than my red sea and my corals look great! I tend to keep my CA level up around 440-460 so even using this salt I have to suppliment daily with an A&B. I see no reason to switch back to red sea at this point (until I run out and can't find tropic Marin anywhere around here)!