Flooding!

aqua-ed

Wow, it finally happened to me. Today, the power went out and the return pump from my sump stopped running. I have it all plumbed with 0.5" PVC. When the pump turned off, it created a little thing called a siphon that sucked the water from my tank back down into my sump. It kept sucking until the water level dropped below the return. By that time, about 5 gallons had emptied onto the floor. Unfourtanetly, I was not home to witness any of this and stop it from happening.

My question is, how do you prevent this siphoning? Is there something I can use to prevent back flow? Or do I just need to keep my return high enough so that the water it siphons isn't enough to overflow my sump?

Are you talking about a normal overflow.

everyone should turn there tanks off to see what the level is in the sump. If you have an auto fill in the sump, you need to lower it, to lower the water height in the sump when running. Allowing for this extra water. More details please:)

As stated above if it is a normal overflow just move the return up a little. You must have that return low in the tank? I know in my 90 when the power would go I could bring it down 4 inchs and not have any issues. How much water do you run in the sump?

Now if it is a HOB overflow I know nothing about those.

I will do the same, as I am leaving at noon on vaca for a week, .....LOL, can not afford to ruin my remodel.

What if the return is divided into two sections, how many inches of water should I allow it to drain before it stops.

Thanks Guys

Kevin

Definately a siphon break! I drilled a hole just below water line. I also have one of my returns lines (y loc-line) set at the perfect level to aid the break. I have a line drawn on my sump for absolute minimum and max! It was one of the first things I did when I set up the tank as I feared what happened to you.

Its an easy fix! Good luck and peace knowing your tank will not flood again.

Kris

I agree that a siphon hole needs to be checked regularly. My return goes over the top and about 1/3 of it is out of water so when power goes out it there is no siphon back to sump, easy to do with some loc-line.