Tank Cleaning Question

mister crabs

Ok so I am in the process of cleaning the 135 I picked up a couple weeks back. I got all the algae and salt crust off the glass and frame but there seems to be a haze around top 2-3 inches of glass in many spots. Almost like hard water spots or mineral deposits. the water here in vegas is notoriously hard and most likely is the culprit. what can I use that is reef safe to get this off? (scratch) Would vinegar work? If so how much do i need? Id rather not buy 135 gallons of vinegar to fill the tank and let it soak. all help is appreciated! thanks in advance! (clap)

Put the vinegar on a sponge and scrub it. If it helps then use it.

If the vinegar works a little, but not enough, go to home depot and get some muriatic acid (garden center). It is nasty stuff, and you need gloves, goggles, and a face shield. Also don't breath the vapors or you will have a case of acid burnt lungs. But a little of it will take care of any hard water haze that is present.

dsoz

Never thought of muriatic acid. it wont harm the silicone or anything? thanks

I used it to clean coraline off of a tank that was pure purple (no glass showing through). After a couple of minutes with muriatic, and a few rinses with fresh water made it good as new. The tank is now in use at my school in another teacher's classroom.

Silicone is rather inert, and hydrochloric (muriatic) acid is not as damaging as nitric or sulfuric acids. Hydrochloric just acts as a proton donor where Nitric will also act as an oxidizer, and sulfuric acts as both an oxidizer AND a dehydrator. (probably TMI)

I may have to get the muriatic acid.

Like I said, wear rubber gloves, goggles, and DON'T BREATHE the vapors. Also wear clothing that you are not afraid of getting holes in. Are you old enough to remember "acid washed" jeans from the '80s? Big bleached out spots that became ragged holes very quickly. That is what happens to a lot of my clothing while at work when I do my unit on acid/base.

I cleaned my tank outside, just not on the concrete (unless you want it etched too). Then I used the garden hose to wash the left over acid away.

Good luck.

dsoz

I cleaned one and used the acid straight. Just put some in a spray bottle and spray away:D But like stated DO NOT BREATH THE FUMES(threaten) Not good. Let it sit for a few mins and it should come clean pretty quickly. On mine it took the coraline right off. Good luck!

I did not dilute it, but I am kinda crazy when it comes to chemicals. Most people are paranoid, I am just the opposite. Maybe I am a little thick skinned from working with them all day long...

Did you know that they shorten the life expectancy of people that teach chemistry by about 10 years? I don't know why??? (sarcasm in voice)

dsoz

Vinegar HAS to be applied over a longer term than wipe on with rag, I have had tanks with1/8" coraline wipe clean with vinegar, the trick is to soak towels in vinegar then apply towel to glass, let it stick to glass for at least 6-12 hours and do not let it dry. On nasty stuff let it sit 24hr and it will wipe clean with no elbow grease. I have never had anything that vinegar wont take off, you just have to let it work its magic.