Seahorses

TankIt

Hey all, Had a batch of Kuda babies born night before last!!!(clap)

So far just 1 loss and all seem to be doing good...... I am treating with formalin though because I think they might have a protozoan or something, meds seem to be working......

Baby from the previous batch of Erectus is huge now and eating like a horse!!!!(laugh)

So far I am feeding the new babies rotifers but they do not seem to be going after them, however when I put a bunch of baby brine in the tank.....(naughty) Watch out brine!!!!!!

Now that I am more prepared this time around hopefully well get the rest of the batch to make it. I think now that the problem I might have had was a combination of not the right food and a protozoan.

Thanks to all who supported me last time and offered the much needed advice....... Wish me luck this time around.

Amanda

If they will eat the bbs, feed them the bbs and just ditch the rots. Rots are a food to get them to bbs IMO.

If your going to dose formalin I'd dose 1mL for every 10g of nursery tank every other day for 3 treatments. Mix the med in a cup of water first then add to the tank, I kinda of pour it across the top from end to end for better distribution but whatevers.

If your removing water when sucking up the food then replace the same percentage of meds as the water removed.

Makes sure there is ample aeration as formalin will affect 02 levels.

Formalin works best at temps under 70F typically. IME fry do far better at these temps too, I'd go as low as 67-68F IME.

Curious why do you expect parasites? Using decapped brine will help you a little bit in this. I kinda dose formalin as the process goes. Can't get to crazy with it, it is basically formaldehyde. ;)

Best of luck. Kudas are a fun species to work with IME.

Breeding season in full swing!!!!!

(naughty)

So saturday morning I got a call.................

Another DADDY just had another batch, this 1 is Hippocampus Erectus! Sunburst!!!

So now I am adding another 60-70 babbies to my chore list!!!!!

Totalling now more than 100 babbies and 1 daddy that now looks pregnant again!!!!

The bad part is that I had to mix the babies in together so I have erectus and Kuda in the same grow out tank, hopefully I can tell the difference when they are grown up more!!!!DOH!

I am going to be setting up a few more 10 gallons now so that in the future I can keep the species seperate!!!!

What a start to am early morning.......

As of today only lost 3 babies total!!!!! The rest are doing wonderful growing like craze and eating like horses:D

Anything lost in the first five days is from water quality or just weaklings. Since you have only lost three sounds like your in great shape. Keep it up.

How big was the brood?

Anything lost in the first five days is from water quality or just weaklings. Since you have only lost three sounds like your in great shape. Keep it up.

How big was the brood?

Had to be the waeker ones lost since I am staying on top of the water with daily 10-15% water changes........

The Kuda had about 65-70 and the Erectus had about 50-60, I always loose track when I am moving them, and I find a few left behind hiding in the other tank over the 1-2 days after they are born.

I will get some pics as soon as I can but my digi sucks and I have been very bussy!!!!! I will try to get some this weekend.

Thanks(clap)

moving babies

Also I found it funny that everyone says do not move baby horses untill they are at leased 6 weeks old.......

I took my big older baby and a few of the little guys home with me last night, it was a good 20 min + ridein a bag and I did not even aclimate them. What I did was removed about 60 % of the water from the 2 gal and put the water from the bag in then just poured them in..... They are doing great even eating in less than an hour after the move and this morning they were all hitching and eating great! My goal is to get the big baby eating frozen and I did not want him to be lonley.....

I've never heard the not moving for 6 weeks rule. I say hogwash. :D When I was breeding I would move all of them once a week to a different tank and then clean out the tank they were in, including bleaching. I'd switch the tanks once a week. I was kinda paranoid about water quality. Artemia is just filthy.

Hitching is very good. Sounds like your doing awesome. Keep it up.

Finally!!!!!

I will try to post some of the pics of the babies I have at my house. Here we go.......

I will be getting some pics of the parents tomorrow morning so I will try to get them on here by tomorrow afternoon.......

The first pic is of the older baby and 2 smaller ones in front of him. The rest are all of him. I am not sure why but I cannot get a lot of the ones of the babies to download I will work on that though....(scratch)

post-2537-141867739076_thumb.jpg

post-2537-141867739079_thumb.jpg

post-2537-14186773908_thumb.jpg

post-2537-141867739082_thumb.jpg