Closed loop intake leak.

pledosophy

So I plumbed up a nice CL system for my soon to be seahorse tank (as in the seahorse is in QT and once the plumbing is done he can go live in the bigger tank).

I have a leak in the CL intake. It is leaking from where the bulkhead in the tank connects with a 1" threaded elbow. I used teflon tape, but still the leak, surprising the CL is not spitting out air.

I get a drop every 30 seconds or so.

The way I screwed the elbow onto the bulkhead, I can't get it off unless I cut the whole thing, which is an option, unless I can get a hold of a pipe wrench or something. It just won't budge. I was thorough screwing it in.

Was curious if silicone or weld on 16 would work since the leak is so small.

Just a foot note, the elbow connects to a ball head that when closed, stops the leak so very low pressure on the leak IMO.

The leak drips down the hose and goes back to the pump so it is in tubberware for the moment.

Thanks.

I've tried patching similar leaks with silicon and epoxy, neither worked. I'd be worried that Weld-on would do more damage than it fixed. I'd tear it down and fix it right -- hard to get good sleep with a known leak.

I agree with Andy that the silicone would eventually leak. If you can't get the CL off, can you get it empty? Then you could apply a liberal amount of PVC glue to the leak and fill what ever gap is leaking. But if you can't get the CL empty until the glue is thoroughly dry, you'd pollute the tank.

Unfortunately, Andy may be right that the best long term solution may be to bite the bullet and fix it right.

I picked up everything I need to cut it off and put on a new one, but am first going to try coating the place where they meet with PVC glue to see if it helps. There is a pretty heavy amount of glue on there, so . . . if that was going to work it should work.

Picked up a new pump this afternoon to. Glad to see the Loud as Hell 1 go.

Just for future reference...I cracked 2 bulk heads installing my overflow (both on the same side). It was on the top seam and I thought, no pressure=no leaks. Wrong. Drip, drip drip. I tried to silicone the CRAP out of it...and it didn't work. I too would have to reallyl tear things apart to replace it and didn't want to go through that! I picked up a tube of that marine epoxy putty stick and worked a mess of it together and put it around the cracked bulkhead....wah-lah...no more leaks! That stuff is pretty phenominal out of water...in water, I am not to happy with it. I have used it to attach a few things here and there...It works if it is in the "mood" and you do everything perfectly.

I will try otherthings under water, but for anything out...this stuff was the bomb!

Kris