Proper Acclimation For Fish And Inverts

Kevinmc

This was not posted to be a fight, it was for discussion and education purposes only.

I have just been reading for so long that hobbiest have been told so many different thing when it come to buying fish from online or from a shop right out of the box. This has nothing to do with buying fish from another member, or even a shop from their tank to a bag and then into your tank.

How long do we acclimate fish that have been in transit for day? It might be the same comparison as, how long would it take you to adjust to a hot tub, or a cool sprinkler in the summer. Only it is water chem. evern it temp is not a factor. LFS may tell us dink it in swish it around for up to 5-15 min. while adding water every three min. or so, but does that really cut it.

I know from asking Jason @ CRPC that his acclimation process from the bag is something like 10-12+ hours. aAn acclimation of even an hour is a far cry from even 6-8 hours to acclimate fish from online or LFS that sell straight out of box and bag to customers.

Just would like you thoughts and ideas for discussion.

I would welcome a reply from our VP in the club as to the discussion at HMSC.

Thanks

Kevin

I don't mean to fight I just think that it is very important that people explain the reasoning and purpose behind what they do. Its imprtant to understand why we do what we do in this hobby. I just find it a little upsetting when people give adivce or suggestions without posting why they do what they do. All part of the learning process. To many people recommend doing something just because thats what someone else told them to do. If you post a reason for why you are doing what your doing then eveyone can learn from it rather than another post that will only cause more confusion. For example why would you drip acclimate a fish for 10 to 12 plus hours? Instead why not acclimate until the ph and salanity match that of your tank, since this is the purpose of acclimation. IME it has never taken more than four hours for water parameters to match up, even fish that are directly transhipped. Reading on the internet is great lots of different opinions lots of different ways to do things. Some work for some people and some don't work for others, but if you understand why you are doing what you are doing it makes it alot easier to decipher through all the different opinions and methods. I am in no way trying to be rude or fight, just very passionate about this hobby and I hate to see people get misinformed. I think the best foundation for learning saltwater would be books. Chances are if it's been published it is already a tried and true method. JMHO

• 15 years later...