Which Light is Best?

defigart

I am going to be getting a 46 Gallon Bowfront. I am looking getting one of two different lights to put on it.

One of them has, 1X250W MH and 2X96W PC. The other has, 2X250W MH, and 2X65W PC. In both lights I will use Actinic Bubls in the PC's

The dimensions of a 46 Bowfront are 36LX16DX21H.

Please explain your answer so I can learn.

I would use the 2x250 because the 1x250 would have the light centered over the brace (I am assuming that there is a brace). The heat from the light would destroy the brace in very little time. The 2x250 would be A LOT of light in a 46 bow. Is there a 2x175 model?

Is the 46bow a 3' or 4' tank? Does it have a center brace? IDK enough about the bowfront to give good advice. Sorry.

dsoz

2x175 would be great on a 46 bowfront. 250's would be great as well though, and you'll find the bulb selection in 250W to be much greater. If you do choose the 175's, take a close look at Eye's 14K. It's a great bulb with high par.

You'll have an easier time cooling your tank with dual 175. 250's won't be impossible, but you'll likely need to purchase a chiller. Use fans either way, as you may find it easy to control your temp with them. The other issue to anticipate is evaporation. Again, less with the 175's.

• 3 weeks later...

I use 2 koralia 4 powerheads, a canister filter for carbon, and clean media 2x a week, keeps phosphates down mechanically. HOB ViaAqua Multi Skimmer Deluxe, good skimmer, but upgrading next week, when I buy my sump and overflow. 36w UV sterilizer. As you can see I have a mixed tank and my flow is about 3000 GPH in my 72 gallon bowfront, after I install the sump. The ViaAqua skimmer works great, but puts out micro bubbles, lots of them, so I am upgrading.