Jase's 120G new project

jadams7

So here are a few pictures of my new tank, still getting set up since I moved into my house. I ran all of the plumbing into the garage(in hopes of avoiding a chiller this summer, fingers crossed), and plan on adding a frag tank and refugium here sometime soon. The tank is a 120g, 4'x2'x2' with corner overflow. I am still working on the stand (need to finish some paint, add knobs, etc.). Then tank itself has been up for about a month, and I have slowly started adding things from my 2 72gal bowfronts that are at my old house. Still have about 30lbs of rock, various corals, blue hippo tang, coral beauty, goby, a few damsels, snails, crabs star polyps etc etc...

As far as stock goes in this tank, as of right now I have a yellow tang, sailfin tang, cleaner shrimp, 3 clowns (false percs?), 2 have been together for quite some time, and in a desperate time I had to add the 3rd one in with them. After a few hours of mild fighting the clowns all got(clap) along great, which surprised me. Also i have a diamond goby, 2 brittle starfish, bunch of snails and small hermits. I have a bunch of different types of Zoos, but do not know the names of them, small clam, ricordia, 2 condy anemones(1 purple 1 green), rose bubble tip anemonie, white bubble tip (hid behind the rocks, still moving around), large star polyp rock, large leather (which was not opened up or happy when I took these pictures), and 2/3 other small leathers. Too many shrooms and various other things to list here.

Equipment: I am running an AquaC Protein Skimmer EV-180, and I love it so far. I have a mag 18 for the return, which runs through a SQWD to alternate the flow a bit. I will end up having a Koralia 4, 2, and maxijet 900 in the tank also, however I am running 2 maxi900's and a koralia 2 currently until I get my Koralia 4 out of my other tank. Lighting, I am running a dual 150w sunpod unit right now, which I figured would not be enough to light everything properly, but I am happy so far, so we will see if that changes (i have a dual 250w setup, and dual 400w in case I change my mind, and a pair of those new reflectors Nyles is having made, which I am very excited about!(scary)).

Transferring over my refugium from my other tank will be the next step, along with slowly adding my remaining livestock. I will be looking for a frag tank, or possibly tossing the idea of a frag tank/refugium if I could figure out a way to make it work, so that will also be coming up here soon hopefully. As far as more stock, I have been considering a flame angel, powder blue tang, volitan lionfish, harlequin sweetlips, and clown tang for a while, but I want to get things up and running for a while first.

Anyways feel free to add any comments or suggestions, as always, the pictures are not great, but they are all that i've got. Enjoy!

post-1660-141867770573_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867770577_thumb.jpg

post-1660-14186777058_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867770584_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867770589_thumb.jpg

Very nice. It is a tank to be proud of. I am amazed that you have had three clowns together for so long. Are they that much different in size? I have heard that if the second one is 80% smaller than the first, and the third is 80% smaller than the second it is possible. Is this their sizes ratios?

dsoz

Thanks for the compliments guys!

As for the clowns, the two that have been together are pretty different in size, I would say one is 2+ inches and the other is under one inch. The third one I added is almost identical in size to the 2+ inch, so I truly have no clue how they are not trying to tear each other apart(scratch), goes against everything I have read in all of my aquarium books etc, but hey i'm not complaining(laugh).

By the way I just got the 40 breeder with custom overflow from Uhuru (thanks man for the great deal) so that is currently being plumbed as a very large live 'fuge that may house a cardinal and some damsels. Anyone know of any negative effects to having fish directly in with chaeto?

Here are some pictures of the progress of my fuge/frag tank...

The overflow was custom done by uhuru and has worked great so far, I am running a mag5 into the tank, which is said to pump 500gph max, so it is probably closer to 400gph with the 3' of tube I have running to the tank. In from the tank I decided to experiment with an eggcrate/pvc idea I have been tossing around for a while. Basically instead of the return filtering to the top of the tank, I have connected pvc and drilled holes in it to allow the water to flow from the bottom of the tank up. I figured this might circulate a bit better, give a different (and lighter) but necessary flow for frags (so they dont get blown over by a powerhead), and also to cut down on dead spots. I know its not the most novel idea in the world but I have been considering building one in a tank for quite a while, and thought I would test it out. Does anyone else have any experience with anything like this in saltwater? I have not seen it yet, but it makes sense to me.

Here are a few pictures of the new setup...

post-1660-141867739011_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867739014_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867739017_thumb.jpg

post-1660-14186773902_thumb.jpg

And here is some with a bit of rock and life in it. Currently housing 2 yellowtail damsels, 2 striped damsels, coral beauty, pajama cardinal, pink skunk clown, and various snails crabs etc etc. I am just running chaeto for now, and I do like the idea of getting a few more plants, maybe a mangrove or 2, who knows. Suggestions??

post-1660-141867739023_thumb.jpg

post-1660-141867739026_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Size may or may not have any relevance in the clowns getting along. If all the clowns were introduced as males the most dominant one will turn female & the rest will stay male and not fight. The biggest problem people encounter is when people introduce two females. Typically when two females are introduced to a tank they will fight to the death. I have had people that have bought up to 15 of my clowns for a single tank. They wanted to have them school around just like a bunch of damsels. From what I have heard all are doing great & the owner is very happy. All 15 came from the same clutch so all were introduced to the tank as unsexed juvenilles. As they progress there will be a little fighting for dominance to establish the female & male pair. All the rest will stay sexually undeveloped unles either the male or female dies.

Dave