OCA/HMSC pic intense

kriswaters

WOW! Thanks a bunch for a great day. I really enjoyed both tours. The Hatfield Marine Center opened my eyes up to the life on the Oregon coast. I loved the colors! The Wolf eels were awesome as were the rock fish. Our guides were very friendly and informative!

The Oregon Coast Aquarium behind the scenes tour was fantastic!!! It was really interesting to see what goes on to keep things up and running! The four protein skimmers in the P.O.D. where fabulous! As well as walking on the cat walk around the huge tanks! It was great getting a sneak peak at the new exhibit!

I missed the B-B-Q (I was so looking forward to it too!) due to an unexpected event that occured after the tours. I hope you all enjoyed it! I didn't get to meet everyone (personally) but it was nice to put a face to a few of the names! Thanks again!

Here are a few of my favorite pictures, and I hope to be seeing more!

Kris

Newpics029.jpg

Newpics031.jpg

Newpics032.jpg

Newpics034.jpg

Newpics035.jpg

Newpics037.jpg

Newpics038.jpg

Newpics042.jpg

Newpics050.jpg

And an end to a great day!

Newpics059-1.jpg

Great pictures! Nice to finally meet you in person, Kris. The BBQ was great, but you will have opportunities to join us at JJ North's Grand Buffet on Sunday, June 22nd, when we will have as our Guest Speaker, Bob Fenner.

Then our PNWMAS Annual Summer BBQ will be on Sunday, August 31st at Cook Park, Tigard, Oregon... and our Christmas Party is Sunday, December 21st.

I will post some pics of the tours and BBQ tomorrow!

What a once in a lifetime experience it was to go behind the scenes at the OCA/HMSC, this is truely our future.

A big thanks goes out to all of the staff at both facilities for a great tour, and for providing such and intense level of support and care for marine live.

My favorite part of the tour was the research facility a HMSC, it was a real lesson in what it take to be one of the best research facilities in the counrty. I am very pround to live in a state that has a facility such as this to offer the research, training and care for all of the services that it provides.

My hope in the future is that we at PNWMAS can work together with both HMSC and OCA to raise the standard of care during harvest of marine life that are being captured for all reasons. We owe it to ourselves and eachother to provide the best treatment and care for whatever marine life that it is we remove, and purchase from the wild. It takes a much more pro-active stand to ensure that suppliers know what is expected of them in capturing and selling to wholesalers. I believe shops should know who that are buying from and how life is cared for, and ensure that marine life is care for properly before ever making it availible for sale. As we know, some shops provide different levels of service we product is received, as consumers this is in our control. We must all request changes is handling practices prior to making any live marine product availible for sale to the public, we have the voice, lets use it. First, my hope is that we as consumers apply enough pressure as the consumer to force changes in the handling and shipping practices of divers, handlers, wholesalers and shops to provide a better product. Secondly, the consumer needs to have a good resource to contact for help and information as to caring for live purchases.

Would it be possible to provide member support in the way of donation to pay for the membership for anyone that is an employee of HMSC/OCA, or OSU student of Bio, or Marine Bio to become an active club member in PNWMAS? We are missing the vast knowledge base from these employees and staff. What better way to assist them then to include them in our membership in PNWMAS. I would like to sponsor two members to our group. We have something here guys and gals, lets gather these Knowledgeable people so we can help them, so in turn they can help themselves to make this better for all of us.

I would like to propose that PNWMAS schedule an annual tour of both HMSC and OCA and follow it with a BBQ for all members, staff, employees and volunteers in Newport. This would be a great place to have a gest speaker or two and a way to promote our club. With permission, this could be done right at the end of the parking lot of HMSC with my new travel trailer.

Thanks again to Jay and John for their hard work in setting this up, and thanks to HMSC/OCA for a great job in all that you have done, and will do in the future.

Kevin

Thank you Kevinmc for your excellent post. We have been working in association with HMSC for some time now, and plans have already been made with OCA for continuing the Behind the Scenes Tour as an annual event. Oregon Coast Aquarium has expressed that they wish to continue working on a relationship with PNWMAS in public education.

The HMSC Extension program already plans of holding seminars and workshops with marinelife suppliers in the area. More on this will be posted as it develops.

What is most needed is members like yourself taking an active part in PNWMAS in working with OCA/HMSC, and the Tanks For Teachers Program.

Thanks John,

I am happy to be a very small part of the group, PNWMAS is another small part of the whole group that will make a difference. The Involvement of members along with groups at the national level can and should apply the necessary pressure to improve standards in regions that divers and wholesalers provide fish. There also should be improved standards for shops to that handle livestock fresh from wholesale suppliers. More on this in a new thread to come. I am finished with my rant, sorry.

Thanks

Kevin