Laminating Glass?

Algae

I just posted this to RC, then I thought; "Hey, there is no off switch to genius in THIS club!" That is why it's called the Great Northwest.

So take a shot, please, bring humility to others, and fame to yourself!

I am buying an ADA nano tank (17"x10"x12", or so). Because the bottom glass is only 4mm thick and I will be drilling 3 holes for plumbing (2 -1/2" bulkheads, 1-1" bulkhead in the bottom glass) and with the weight of adding live rock I am concerned about cracking the glass. There have been people who have cracked their ADA/nano/small tanks through drilling or tightening the bulkheads.

I was thinking that if I laminated a piece of 1/4" or 3/8" glass to the outside, bottom of the tank I might insure that I have less of a chance of cracking the tank while drilling and mounting the bulkheads. I am, even more, concerned about jostling live rock pieces against the bottom mounted standpipe and returns, thereby leveraging a crack in the bottom.

HERE IS THE QUESTION (finally);

What kind of glue, bonding agent can I use to adhere the 3/8" pane to the outside, bottom of the tank. It does not have to be clear. Silicone, because of it's viscosity would not be ideal, since a closer contact would be stronger. What about cynoacrylic, epoxy or a UV setting adhesive? I am lookin for stuctural integerity and not beauty.

Thanks In Advance!

Why not just bust out the thin glass, then replace it with a piece of thicker (1/4 or 5/8 inch) glass or acrylic? That way there is no need to bond two pieces of glass.

The bottom molding should hide the thicker glass.

Just an idea.

dsoz

If I break out the bottom glass I am concerned about weakening the side joints. The ADA tank is frameless/rimless. I do not want to ruin a German craftman's silicone job (although ADA is Japanese).

Lee-Mar is still an option, but talking directly with them is pretty difficult (retail shops in CA & NV) . Glass Cages has had mixed reviews (and downright terrible for acrylic) and Aquarium Obsessed out of Canada is too busy to give customer sevice unless you are going for a 500 gal. tank.

Bostik Titan Plus (repackaged as Mr. Skicky in US) may be an option for glass to acrylic. Again I am going to route the edges of the stand I construct, so the bottom seam will not be visable. Still debating glass to glass or acrylic/glass.

did you already buy the tank? If not, send James (Acrylics) a message. He makes custom tanks (acrylic) and it is said that he does an AWESOME job. He will make the bottom of your tank to your specifications. Also, he is a sponsor here, and his shop is in Portland. It gives the locals some business.

dsoz