My new nano...doing good!

markdadof2

So I took some water in to the local LFS (thank you Aquaticus) and he said my water parameters looked great for being only set up for 10 days. Ammonia / nitrates / nitrites were spot on and the only thing was ph was a bit low.

I went ahead and purchased about 10 snails to start cleaning things up.

One question - besides all the little 'bugs' (copeopods) that are cruising around I have notices on the glass (acrylic actually) these very small looking creatures - they almost look like featherdusters...but there are HUNDREDS if not thousands of them...very small yet. I will try and get a picture but I think I will have to wait until they grow a bit. They sway around with the current and suck into the 'home base' on occasion. when extended they kind of look like a deflated air balloon. Maybe they are featherdusters...but that many so quickly??

thanks

Mark

During the 10 days did you test for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? If so, did you see each rise and fall in that order (with the exception of the nitrate which would typically just rise)?

I am assuming the live rock was already cured... How did you start the cycle; a damsel fish, piece of shrimp, or little ammonia, etc?

I did test the levels and watched them spike and come back down. I started with cured live rock and a few hermits and a hitchkiher emerald crab. I was told that the die-off from the live rock would kick start the cycle.

I wonder if I am ready for some soft corals - xenia and green star??

10 days is not long if you got rock that was mostly cured already. If it was rock fresh out of the box off the airplane it may take several weeks, but if it was curing in the tub at the LFS, then they may have already experienced most of the die-off, and cycle. Leaving you with only a short mini-cycle.

You are probably ready for xenia? Do you want some? I still have some left, and can hook you up if you are ever in the area of Oregon City.

dsoz

If you have never fed teh tank, you can't be sure if it is cycled or not. The absence of ammonia just means there is no ammonia left, not that the tank can handle a bioload.

Feed the tank, wait 6 hours or so and then test for ammonia. If the reading is 0, test for nitrite, if both are zero your good to go.