150 Gallon Tank and drilling

Madd Hatter

I just picked up a 150 gallon setup and I am thinking about drilling the tank and tossing the overflow box that came with it. I did some reading on several message boards and I am no closer to deciding then when I sat down to figure out how and where to drill the holes, what size and how many. The deminsions are 72"wx18"dx28"tall..(The tank is over 10 years old if that makes a difference).. What about adding overflows to the corners? if I do where would be a good place to pickup the black acrylic and does it come premolded? TIA

Where to drill the holes depends on what kind of flow you are looking for. With locline you can pretty much drill anywhere and point the flow wherever you want. I would drill a few returns in that and 2 1.5" drains. You could do corner overflows, but you need to make sure the bottom glass is not tempered first. You can get black acrylic at any acrylic supplier, or give James at Envision Acrylics a call since he is a sponsor. It doesn't come premolded so you would have to figure out just how you want to do it. James can give you all sorts of ideas there.

Good luck!

I bent my own acrylic into a "u" type shape. I just sandwiched it on a workbench with plywood and clamps, then used a heatgun(slow) and a torch (fast!) and let gravity do the rest. after it had made a 90 degree bend i let it cool, flipped it over, and did the same to the other side. then i used a router table to make teeth but a dremel will work too just not as clean. HTH