Cameras

spectra

I use a Sony DSCH-1 5.1MP that I bought from Jay and Stacey when they upgraded. It has a nice macro and a 12X Optical zoom which is pretty decent. I know its not top of the lie but still takes great pics. Im sure Sony has new versions of this model that are even better. There are some real camera studs on this site so you should be able to find what ya need. Later Ryan

Yeah when it comes to camers I know nothingDOH! But also do not want one that takes a four year degree to operate(laugh) Or one that is priced way to high(need money for SW stuff you know) as my son will probably be using it at times. He loves to take pics of the tanks in the house(rock2)

I'm a photographer by trade but still use the original rebel for my home stuff. IMO as a hobbyist just looking for fish pics you would be better off with a nice point and shoot then you would be with an SLR. With an SLR you will need to invest more money after the body in lenses to get what you want where many point and shoots hae a zoom and marco feature.

If you just have a couple extra gand you want to spend on something a Cannon SLR with a nice macro lens will give you great pics, but you will need to spend the money for a tripod as well. Otherwise I am really impressed with the Sony's that feature the Carl Zeiss lense, mainly the cyber shots.

I like the Cannons over the Nikons and Fiji's because of the way the sensors are distributed. I haved used a Nikon D1X in the past but find the Cannon supperior for what I do. Right now I can make a 4' by 8' print off a Cannon Jpeg and I haven't had any clients want to go bigger then that. The D1X I was having trouble with 20x24" prints.

Also important to remeber when considering camera's that a mega pixel is not a standard unit of measurement. It essentially means nothing. It's like lighting with watts, doesn't mean crap it's all about the other outputs (NO vs. PC vs. T5. vs MH) if that makes any sense.

Not that I know anything, it's just how I pay my bills. I shoot mainly portraits though, so different ball game. I admittedly suck at fish pictures, especially macro shots, even with the fancy gear.

JMO

I use a cannon digital rebel slr. got a good deal at costco. I use it primarily on backpacking journeys and give the pictures to my girlfriends father, who then transforms them into amazing oil and acrylic paintings. I still need to get better at messin with the white balance when taking tank shots. It has a full auto function that makes it pretty much idot proof. The only downside is size. You just can't compare that big thing to the credit card sized cameras. Other than that I love it and it takes amazing pictures

Matt, when you find out how easy it is to do a custom white balance you are going to kick yourself.

Take a piece of paper with you. Photograph the paper so that it fills the frame (you might have to focus on the side of the paper and the move the camera to frame the paper), then go into the menu under Custom WB, and select that image as white. Change the WB setting on your camera to custom (it's teh two triangles with the square in the middle) and your good.

Will take you three minutes the first time, a minute or less every time after.

Spectra:

If I were to do it all over again...I'd get a Canon. I have a Nikon D-80 and it's real good but the Canon's seem to be more user freindly and there are some good Canon forum's for help. The other thing I really like about Canon is that they have a CMOS chip in it. The CMOS chip can make a novice photographer look like a pro. I would reccomend going to Pro Photo Supply late Friday and rent a Canon for a day. There not open Sunday, so if you rent it late Friday for one day, you'll keep it for two day's. :)

Matt, when you find out how easy it is to do a custom white balance you are going to kick yourself.

Take a piece of paper with you. Photograph the paper so that it fills the frame (you might have to focus on the side of the paper and the move the camera to frame the paper), then go into the menu under Custom WB, and select that image as white. Change the WB setting on your camera to custom (it's teh two triangles with the square in the middle) and your good.

Will take you three minutes the first time, a minute or less every time after.

[language filter] that's good to know about the WB. I have a hard time adjusting mines.

LOL. and for being a Canon user, spell it properly man!

Ahem...so when you gonna fix my camera(flame):p