sun coral - not opening up as much

sontdo

I have a sun coral for few months. It was opening up nicely. For the past 2 weeks, the polyps are not opening up as much. pH is 8, salinity 1.024, change water 10% every week for 2 weeks. Is it too much light? Does anyone have experience with sun coral. I feed it plankton, cyclopedes, mysis. I don't pipette the food on the surface because the shrimps and other inverts will come and eat the food. Any suggestions? Thanks

Mine opens up whenever I feed the tank or clean the glass. When you feed it do you spot feed it or just throw it in the tank? I know shrimp can be a problem but you have to deal with them. I just feed the tank first then feed the sun corral as they will open up. Try feeding them more and see what happens. As for light mine are under a 250 MH and still open up real nice they are not really shaded either. Wish you well with them they are a pain in the a** coral but are really full of color and a great addition to any tank I think.

With my sun corals (I have two) I feed the tank so all the fish and shrimp can eat. That makes the sun coral open up. Then after it is fully open, maybe a half hour or so I target feed the sun coral mysis with a turky baster and chill there for a minute while it catches it and starts to eat it. No fish go near it for that minute. I think they have turkey baster phobia. I have 6 peppermeints, and 12 emeralds in that tank, also a wrasse and some other fish but the sun coral eats in peace.

Try squirting some mysis juice directly on it, if it doesn't open up fully with in an hour, you got a problem.

With my sun corals (I have two) I feed the tank so all the fish and shrimp can eat. That makes the sun coral open up. Then after it is fully open, maybe a half hour or so I target feed the sun coral mysis with a turky baster and chill there for a minute while it catches it and starts to eat it. No fish go near it for that minute. I think they have turkey baster phobia. I have 6 peppermeints, and 12 emeralds in that tank, also a wrasse and some other fish but the sun coral eats in peace.

Try squirting some mysis juice directly on it, if it doesn't open up fully with in an hour, you got a problem.

DITTO! I have had my suns for about 8 or 9 months now. I do exactly what pledosophy does. My corals open up about 10 minutes after I feed the tank then I turkey baste the shrimp right to it! I also target feed my open brain this way. They are one of my favorites...hence my avitar!

Kris