Lighting question....

mister crabs

Depends on what you keep obviously but I would say a 400W is needed. To reach a depth of 31" and be effective I think a 400w is a must. I think 1 400w wouldn't be that bad over a 110G+. Buy a nice lumenarc to achieve a nice spread and run a fan across the sump to help cooling. Later Ryan

Yes go 400W MH you will need the light with that size of cube. As for heat it should be fine I run a 250 on my 30 oceanic cube now and run the light cycle way longer than I should and heat is not an issue yet. I do not run a fan either. I know I am going 400 on my next cube and it is only a 60 gallon.

I set people up with T5 systems for depths of 36"+ quite often. It can be done! For your dimensions, I would put 8 lamps in there. It will allow you keep anything you want. 8 x 24w = 192W.... Little more economical than a 400 with the additional T5's.

Also, if you choose to go MH, the 400 is not really necessary. Get a 250 with good par, pair it with a good reflector, a good ballast, and you'll have enough light.

Either way, you're heading in the right direction

-Sam

A couple years ago when using reflective sheets, or using a "gull-wing" style was the norm, I would of agreed and said to go with a 400W lamp. Now-a-days, if you fork over the extra cash for a good reflector/lamp/ballast, you can really save long-term with the electric bill savings while providing your corals with the same amount of useable light.

-Sam

There's only one way to settle this..... Grow off! :)

Even though I unfortunately live and breath lighting equipment, I'm the first to admit that the importance of water flow and stability FAR outweigh the importance of light. If you're tank is stable with solid parameters, and you have proper water flow, you will have great success growing coral with either setup.

Both lighting systems have positives and negatives. All you need to do is figure out which is better for you personally, and go with it.