food for anemone

fishiefish

okay so I have a beautiful either bta or long tenticul anemon (scratch).....he is showing no signs of being unhappy except two days ago I found what looked to be like a fallen off tenticle(scary). when I got him, he was being fed once a week or so(sooner not longer) now I'm trying to feed him once a day spot feeding an then the regular feeding for the tank of invert foods.....he doesnt seem to care for silversides I'M trying arcti pods there kinda pricey but if it works thats fine...is there anything better?...he doesnt close all the way when I SPOT FEED HIM(scratch)( Sorry bout caps) is this okay...read mixed reviews online so looking for some personal experience here.:D

hey miles didnt you have something liquid you bought for your mandrin ...I thinl you said it was for inverts as well????? not sure...what was the name if it applies to this...thanks

thanks- ashley

Once/twice a week is a good schedule for feeding anemones. If you try more often than that, you will see the results that you are seeing. Also, it still may be unhappy from the move/short cycle. Don't rush it. If it still looks good, give it a week or so.

Is the maroon clown that is in the picture still in the tank? I ask because sometimes clowns will feed their host anemone when you don't know about it. So maybe the anemone is getting food so it is not hungry.

Have you read this http://www.karensroseanemones.com

If you have not, it is about BTAs. From the pictures, it looks like you have a long tentacle anemone (LTA). But most of the principles still apply. Make sure that the powerheads and intakes are covered. Get some of the plastic mesh from a fabric store and make a large surface area screen for any intakes. Otherwise you may get anemone soup.

I love the look of anemones, but personally I don't want another. They are too much of a pain. Just when you think it is happy and settled, it "takes a walk" and ends up in your overflow. Or while it is walking it wanders past your $50 coral, and stings it to death. Yup, I like my frogspawn better than any anemone.

dsoz

mine moved once cause I put some ph up into the sump that then went right up into the tank and spuued over my lta( thanks for the id) and it bunddled up and disaperaed for a whole day. and yes when I gave the fish a shrimp pelett treat they tried to give him some , I have a mateing pair so there was like six little pellets that he didnt want on his mouth....he hasnt messed with my frogspawn yet....I will be sure to get some netting thanks...oh 4 of my zoas are open almost all the way on that original rock. very happy about that. thanks for letting me know.....guess he wasnt hungry... sigh of relief

Try some mysis.....could soak it in some selcon (kinda spendy$20) or some vitamin mix like Zoe from kent and a little water(minimal amount....a couple ounces)......then use a turkey baster and gently squirt it close to anemone(like 2 inches away) any further and it just floats up before reaching anemone if squirting gently ....any harder and anemone will shrink.....hth