EVIL HERMITS

Jay

Woke up this AM to my hermit dinning on my new clam. Had the clam tipped over and was eating the bottom of the clam that sits on the sand. I guess this is the joint of the shell. Its soft tissue. So I suppose the clam will die now. Really POed at that sucker. It is one of those Blue knuckle ones that is med size. A year ago I had bannished him to the sump for eternity for spilling over one of my new corals onto my anemone in the sand. I felt guilty and was forgeting to feed the hermit for weeks in the sump so I allowed him back to the tank on probation. BANNISHED FOR EVER THIS....lucky he doesnt have a date with my kitty cat for breakfast.

@$#@!%$&*}ER (flame)

Jay

No.....he was eating it....its still alive so we will see. little sucker.....lucky thats what he is. Thats his name now....I will name that crab lucky. Lucky he is not catfood. I guess he is doing what a crab does...just trying to make a living. My fault to impulse buy without reading up. I learned that lesson years ago....

Note to all...dont do hermits and clams togather!!

Jay

Hmmm, it is often assumed that the hermit is killing or eating a live clam when in fact he is just doing his job at cleaning and scavenging. The clam does has some defense like closing its shell and will usually move around and put up a fight if something is trying to eat it. Cleaners have a very good sense of smell and are always on top of cleaning up and capitolizing on any nearly dead or desceased tank inhabitant. Here is a direct quote from Giant Clams in the Sea and Aquarium by, James Fatherre, "Some fishes, and especially shrimp and other cleaners, may not bother healthy tridacnids, but will literally devour them if they sense that they're near death or dead. These fish and cleaners will not bother healthy clams at all, until they are dead or near dead, then they make a quick meal of much of the remains." So I wouldn't be so quick to point fingers, there are many things that do kill clams that we don't even know are there, such as protozoa, pinched mantle disease, bacteria, etc. etc. It is often assumed that the first thing to start cleaning up a dead or dying clam is what killd the clam but this is not the case. So I guess lucky is a good name since u didn't give him to the cat for just doing his job as a cleaner. NOTE TO ALL: CLAMS AND HERMITS ARE TOTALY SAFE TOEGTHER!

HTH

Really....mabey it is sick. Mantel comes out ok. He had the clam pushed over and was pulling at its foot. Looked like he has made a small indentation in the foot where it was missing flesh. This is my first clam and I am in no means a expert on them for sure. This was a impulse buy that my freind talked me into. I need to read up on them.

Jay

Its hard to say with clams. They can be difficult at times. I had 16 at one point in time, and the last 3 I purchased from a place called clams direct, long story short their clams introduced pinched manlte disease into my tank and I lost all but 2 clams. Broke my heart and my wallet. I've had friends with clams that showed absolutely no signs of anything one morning they are their and the next day just a shell. My favorite book on keeping clams would have to be, Giant Clams in the Sea and Aquarium by, James Fatherre.

Jay,

Hermits and the clams can live together. I hasve 2 clams and who knows how many hermits and they get along just fine. As stated the clams are a differant type and can be doing great one day then dead the next. Your looked ok this morning when I was there. When the lights are on and you move your hand over the tank does the clam close up real quickly or just not do anything? They should be real skiddish in the light and close up then open back up. Good luck!

FWIW' date=' my hermits never pay any attention to my clams. Wish they'd behave to same way around conchs :([/quote']

What do they do Andy? I have 2 conchs and the hermits just walk right by them. Plus my son has a few in his tank and they are all getting along to.

Yea I had to have my clacium reactor running full boar to keep up with them plus the addition of purple up to keep up everything was fine for 6 months hadn't lost a single clam, but then I went and ordered off the internet within 2 days half were pinched the rest went over thext 2 months or so. Treatment was a PITA 30 min freshwater dip in buffered fresh water. Would help for about 3 or 4 days then it would just come back. Now I have 2 and after losing over $700 in clams I am scared to death to buy another one!!! As far as the name goes yes I am an avid gardener. Nothing like picking out fresh produce from a garden. I also was a chef so I really appreciate every aspect of food, from the farm to the table. Try to be as self sustainable as I can. PLus you really can't beat a 3lb barndywine tomato that is picked at it's peek of ripeness, or any vegie for that matter. Plus I would also like to think of my self as a gardener of corals as well.