DIY PO4/carbon reactor

impur

Currently i run GFO and GAC in a mesh bag inside a HOB filter on my sump. The water splashing is relatively loud, so i decided to build a reactor that would be more efficient and quieter. Total cost so far is about $30 and I have enough materials to make 2 of these. I don't plan on more than 10 bucks for additional plumbing parts. Here is what i came up with

Parts:

3" acrylic tube

Weldon #17

3" PVC slipXthread

3" PVC threaded plug

some scrap 1/4" acrylic

100_1426.jpg

I didn't like how tall the PVC slipXthread fitting was, so i cut it down on the slip side leaving about 1/4" for the acrylic tube to connect to. I glued the other end to the scrap acrylic and plan to mold that into a hanger

The first time i glued the tube to the top was my first attempt at gluing acrylic. It had some leaks, so i went around the outside to try and fill in those holes. I had to do that part twice, but finally its leak free

100_1424.jpg

100_1423.jpg

All glued up minus the standpipe and in/out plumbing

100_1421.jpg

100_1422.jpg

100_1420.jpg

I plan to make a diffuser plate like i did on my CA reactor to help disperse the water coming in and keep it from channeling thru the media

You can see the diffuser plate i made here. Its a PVC reducer with a bunch of holes drilled in it ;)

P8160340.jpg

Nah i won't be selling them. I will eventually have 2 cubes so 1 for each. Either that or Nyles gets the other one when i'm done since we talked about it previously.

Nyles - yah i had thought about have 2 diffuser plates. Shouldn't be a problem. I could even make them out of a couple layers of gutterguard. I think i'll just use CPVC for the bulkheads to keep costs down. Will work just as nicely.

• 2 weeks later...

New they are around 40+ shipping and you still need a pump.

I will have made 2 for under 40. Plus I have enough weldon 16 to build whatever i want out of 2 sheets of acrylic i've had forever. Not to mention I enjoy doing this type of thing. So the value is much much more to me.

Well i hit up HD today and found just what i need. It wasn't what i was expecting, but ended up much better! i had hoped to find a reducer coupling that would go from 1.5" to 3" and i could cut off part of it to match the ID of the reactory. Then i would drill a ton of holes in it, and i would have to reduce the 1.5" side to 1/2 as well. Anyway here is what i came up with. All told i will be making 2 of these for $46 and some change. Not bad IMO.

Funny how the most unlikely thing works perfectly

Plastic sink strainer

016.jpg

1/2 hole in the middle

017.jpg

1/2 CPVC male adaptor

019.jpg

backside with locknut

020.jpg

Well look at that. Fits perfectly. You gonna use 2 strainers per reactor, correct? One where you have it now and one for the top to hold the 2nd sponge. Wait...hold on, i'm confused. Which is the top and which is the bottom again? Is the one with the acrylic sheet the top? Are you planning on cutting it down?

Now what pump are you gonna use to run it? Gonna split off the return pump?

What about a ball valve?

Yah, who woulda thunk it. (laugh)

The acrylic sheet is the top, that will be formed into a hanger. I will use 2 strainers per reactor to form a type of basket. I won't cut this one down, but i might cut the other one in half and make 2 more. I don't think it needs to be that long. But it will be nice to have the ability to just load it up with media.

I will split off my return or use one of the drains from the display to feed it. I will use a valve to adjust the flow thru the reactor.

I got the bulkhead for the supply line glued in yesterday. I'll get a pic when i get home.

I'll have to do some small grinding to reduce the size of the sink strainers so they fit perfectly. Its only gonna need a buzz with the dremel.

But anyway here it is, ready for action. I'll put it online tomorrow or tuesday and update with more pics. I think to start i'm going to just us a MJ400 feed pump

dscn0188.jpg

dscn0189.jpg

dscn0190.jpg