Water + electricity are not good

JeffP

Had a nice scare yesterday which resulted in me being a little extra wary.

I was hooking up some equipment and needed to move my broken CA Reactor which was still plumbed into the sump...so I disconnected everything and then started moving the tray the reactor was on, not thinking that as I lifted the unit, the water pressure would make things flow...and a loose hose went rampant. Before I knew it, my GFO was tripped tank was off and water was close to flowing over the sump. Turns out the hose poured water on the ballast for my actinic lights and caused enough of a spike to trip the outlet, which is a good thing. DOH!

So I unplugged the ballast and decided to let it sit for a week or so to try out before attempting to plug it back in. But, not when I try to plug anything else in around the tank (the pump for my new CA Reactor for example) the GFOs get tripped :(

What should I do? spread the voltage out to other outlet paths using extension cords?

nothing additional to what's running right now.

Main pump, 2 MH ballasts, 2 korillas, 1 MJ, 1 CPR hang on fuge, 1 heater, 1 fan, Sump lights, fuge light, the power for the CO2 regulator are all plugged in now and work - as soon as I add something else, trip. Oh, and I have a grounding plug in the sump.

Can you try to add a different power strip and plugging into that? It may be that the "holes" you are using are now bad.

Doran

Yeah, I'm actually going to try and "upgrade" all of my power strips to something with a higher joule rating. Good point - perhaps the power strip circuitry was/is fried.