clown eggs

Holly

i would guess it will be closer to 8 days. youll know when theyre ready to hatch when the entire nest gets a nice silvery sheen to it. if you start marking it down on a calender the schedule of when the eggs are laid and when they hatch, youll find its pretty consistent. expect them to hatch 1 to 2 hours after the lights go off for the evening.

I'm sure they won't make it even if they DID hatch. My tank is kinda "survival of the fittest" and I don't have any way to remove the big rock they're on to try to relocate them. I was just hoping to enjoy the maturation process... I like watching the male harp over them.

More than half of the eggs disappeared today, I just noticed. Not sure what's happening to them. The pair are very territorial and I haven't seen them letting anyone get near their area, so maybe it's the clowns themselves that're pecking at them..?

My tank vasillates between 77-79 usually...

Thanks for the info -8 days. I'll remember that, in case they lay some more! :D

Diet? How so?

The tank gets mostly mysis with a little bit of spiru-enriched brine each evening, plus their romaine for nibbling (which the clowns usually don't touch, of course). I also occasionally feed little cut-up pieces of silversides too.

What else should I be doing? ...

This is the first spawn for this pair. My male of the original spawnings mysteriously died in early Dec so I got another little clark for her around Xmas. The female hatefully dive-bombed him nonstop from across the tank for the first 8 days (I thought he'd die from the stress) and then it took another 7 days before she allowed him to share one end of her anemone with her. Almost two months later, they finally laid this first batch.

Seemed like a long transition time but he was a tenacious little bugger :D

• 2 weeks later...