Best way to QT snails/hermits

impur

I'm wondering how to go about QTing snails and hermits for 8 weeks. Every single time i add additional snails to my tank, i get something bad. First it was ich. Now my fish are all in QT and have been for 9 weeks. 2 weeks ago i added more snails, now i have monti eating nudis. Since adding the snails i have added 1 coral, a 1"X1/2" pokerstar monti frag that was dipped and inspected prior to adding to the tank. So i am positive that was not where they came from.

So how do you keep 40 snails and 80 hermits alive in a tank for 8 weeks? The only thing i can think of is to have a QT tank setup as a reef, with LR and LS but no corals. That would be a pain to maintain IMO and really has nothing to show off in there. But it would do the trick i guess.

How do you QT inverts?

Scrub the shell of the snails and hermits with a toothbrush before putting in QT. You could use your current QT for the inverts. You can add liverock if you like but if your on a budget other things will grow algae on them (PVC, plastic chain, your a handy guy). Using the water in your display you remove during water changes is always good as it will increase the algae foods. Using bulbs with lower Kelvin spectrums will help grow the algae faster.

You will still have to feed the QT tank. Emerald entree or nori would be good. Just about anything for the detrivours.

It's kinda the opposite of running a good reef.

I agree with that, just feed and algae will come and hermit will eat settled food. I scrub snails that come into my tank, after getting hitchhiker pests in the past from local suppliers of snails you can never be to sure, even when you clean them there is no guarantee, "things" that are pest usually will be actively laying eggs in the opening crevice of snails and very hard to clean it all.

now i have monti eating nudis.

Do you need any potassium permanganate to treat the nudis? I have a 10 lb canister that I can give you some if you can make it (or get someone to come to portland area). You only need 0.05g in a liter of water to dip for 20-30 minutes.

dsoz

As long as they have food they are good. I dont' think you need live rock and all that. Just a fluorescent bulb that you had over your refugium and some macro algae. Circulation. Feed sometimes. Just watch out and separate the hermits from the snails...I'm pretty sure hermits are opportunist.

Thats good to know guys, thanks for the info. I wasn't sure they would survive in QT for that long.

reefhut - I dipped 3 colonies in TMPCC last night and all the nudis were dead in under 10 min.

dsoz - no, but thanks for the offer. TMPCC takes em out nicely.

I plan to remove all montis to QT for 8 weeks. I will do weekly dips in TMPCC, scrape off any eggs i might find, and do my WCs with water from the display to help maintain the params.

I've QT inverts for extended periods of time without an issue. Other then a few Emerald crabs every other invert in my tank has gone through at least 6 weeks of QT, the first ones about three months. I'm pretty freaking paranoid about parasites.

I haven't had an issue with fish illness in a long time.

(

I've QT inverts for extended periods of time without an issue. Other then a few Emerald crabs every other invert in my tank has gone through at least 6 weeks of QT, the first ones about three months. I'm pretty freaking paranoid about parasites.

I haven't had an issue with fish illness in a long time.

I hear that. Thanks for the info Kevin, i hadn't thought about QTing snails until now. I guess i should have after i got ich from snails (nutty)