help

reefgeek84

its whats referred to as a cycle. things that were alive or are trying to live in the new system are dying and the algea is using nutrients up before you can test for them. it'll pass as things become more stable. week or two.

I know what a cycle is...and my cycle with the levels sky rocketing is over, it did and now has gone to zero...I just do not remember this with my smaller tank is all.

Ok, this is going to sound very mean, but I do not intend it to be.

Nobody listens....My levels are fine...they have spiked to deadly levels and then I watched them come back down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! everything is thriving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So yes apparently I have not gone completely through the algae cycle, but to me that does not matter, people deal with this evern after a tank is cycled by all other people's standards. I was just making sure that the Dino's will go away or if I have to start fighting them. So my levels are fine, I have gone through the cycle...For the most part I know what the F--k I am doing, it may not be conventional, but if my levels are fine and all my livestock that is in there is looking very good, then I will take that over what other people say. I am one to just ask questions to double check myself and that is what I am doing. If I listened to everyone, then I should wait 6-8 months to stock the tank and that is bulls--t, I am not going to spend tons of money for my tank to be empty for more then half a year. This feels like deja-vu, I ask people if montipora could survive and live under 30watts of florence light and everyone said there was no way...guess what? it thrived and grew! So thank you to who told me that it will go away with time.

(scary) Mellowwwwwwww. Most likely if you have brown algae your levels are not perfect. You have an excess of some type of nutrient. Algaerequire light and nutrient to grow, without one or the other it will not grow. Test your silicates and phosphates. If you think they are zero bring me a water sample and I will check on my colorometer and see what they really are. If you want some help.:D

Travis

Wow lol anyways yes the diotoms will subside how fast depends on each system if its bad u may want to shorten photo period to 5-6 hour a day if there getting really bad also if the lights are old that your using on this new setup will make algae cycle last longer so id get new bulbs if u can also just a FYI i would have not recomened monti's under thurty watts of light etheir because etheir they may turn brown or die for most folks so its great they did well for you, and i wont speak for others but i know all are here to help and somtimes things that are typed arnt exactly understood completely by all so somthin to think about be fore u take things personnaly just my two cents:D

Wow lol anyways yes the diotoms will subside how fast depends on each system if its bad u may want to shorten photo period to 5-6 hour a day if there getting really bad also if the lights are old that your using on this new setup will make algae cycle last longer so id get new bulbs if u can also just a FYI i would have not recomened monti's under thurty watts of light etheir because etheir they may turn brown or die for most folks so its great they did well for you' date=' and i wont speak for others but i know all are here to help and somtimes things that are typed arnt exactly understood completely by all so somthin to think about be fore u take things personnaly just my two cents:D[/quote']

They did not brown out at all... I will reduce photoperiod to 6 hours and the bulb is brand new, well it now has about 2 weeks worth of use on it...Its not personal...I just repeated myself a couple times in other posts with the same people postin about my levels in it. Again, the same thing goes for me...Just cause I use a few words that someone else may consider harsh, does not mean that I am mad, I even put a disclaimer at the top of the post...I just wanted an answer to if they will go away or if I have to fight them is all. I understand people are trying to help, however I did not ask why I had them I asked if they tend to go away...Lise, gave me a striaght answer...thats it thats all I wanted. This is why I hesitated on posting because I knew I would get the scorn of everyone, thats not what I wanted. I was pretty sure they would go away, but I thought I would double check and make sure I was not crazy. But apparenlty it back fired and me expressing some frustration gets everyone in a huff...

And my test show that my phosphates are zero. Yes I understand the whole nutrient thing...but if Amm is zero and nitrites are zero and phosphates are zero, then that leads me to believe that I can have stuff in my tank...and I have done that and everything is doing very well!!! The stuff I picked up from Joel yesterday was extending polyps in less then 3 hours, I have heard some people waiting a few days for coral to extend polyps and that to me is the best sign possible that my tank is doing well.

(scary) Mellowwwwwwww. Most likely if you have brown algae your levels are not perfect. You have an excess of some type of nutrient. Algaerequire light and nutrient to grow, without one or the other it will not grow. Test your silicates and phosphates. If you think they are zero bring me a water sample and I will check on my colorometer and see what they really are. If you want some help.:D

Travis

Trust me I am mellow...Again, my disclaimer at the top of the post, I put that there cause i use "profane" words by most people, and have to tone it back here...but trust me I am not in anyway mad or pist off, just frustrated.

Thank you for the offer travis.

So I will go on the record, apologizing for anyone who took my post as screaming or me being angry. That was not my intent. So I apologize to anyone who was offeneded by it or took it the wrong way....I guess you have to know me and I tend to forget about that when I post sometimes.

Pull your head out of your .....Never mind.

Pull my head out of where...mature....glad to see a grown adult can handle himself so well. I was even the bigger person and apologized or did you miss that, just like the rest of the posts where I explained my tanks cycle, guess so.

anyways, this thread is now dead and pointless, so I am sure it will be closed or deleted.

Wait, wait, wait! See, this is what I was talking about. It's so easy to misinterpret what is being said via text. You can't convey emotion properly. They were just kidding with you. At least, I think they were! ;)

We're always happy to advise, but we're going to tease you a bit in the process! You've gotta toughen that skin up, my naughty little monkey! Because we can be merciless with our comedic stylings!

I'm not going to close the thread. I don't want to be "big bad admin chick". I think we're all adults and can self regulate ourselves without the threat of someone stepping in. Now, if you want me to close the thread as it is your thread, I can! But I'd much more rather we all regulate ourselves as users of the board rather than having "Big Sister" bring the hammer down on people.

So in a nutshell... be careful how you interpret, people can be really sensitive, think before you post and don't make me start crackin' heads! (threaten) (laugh)

Stacy

So, are you running RO water only? City water contains runoff from agricultural fertilizers. This will always cause a bloom. Esp diatoms.

RO/DI water...

The bloom has seem to subside quite a bit now. BUt I have another sort of macro algae... its longer and has "braches" coming off of it...something else I now need to deal with.

Perhaps it is a non-item that a fish or other herbivore can control for you. In any event, if it competes with the micro algae and beats it down to the point where you are no longer concerned, you have no new problem. I bought the Algae problem solvers guide a while back, it's been a great read, cyano takes a new meaning. Recommended.