Good Camera Recommendation

Kerbash

Hello!

A bit off topic but, anyone know any good camera at around ~100 bucks? I wanna try to get into photography, especially my tank, but the iphone isnt cutting it I think. Its getting a lot of noise and it cant seem to focus when its farther back than 10 inches or so.

Do you have a Gopro?  They give surprisingly good results as you can shoot inside the tank and avoid reflections and wave action, and older models are very cheap.  I have color filters for mine for when I am diving, but you can color correct in Lightroom or some other application pretty easily.

4 hours ago, Krux said:

Do you have a Gopro?  They give surprisingly good results as you can shoot inside the tank and avoid reflections and wave action, and older models are very cheap.  I have color filters for mine for when I am diving, but you can color correct in Lightroom or some other application pretty easily.

Huh a GoPro? and like submerge it in water? When u are taking the photo? Ill go take a look thanks.

Yeah, most action cameras will work as long as they are waterproof.  I just found some Gopro series 7 cameras for about 75 bucks shipped on ebay but if you ask around someone probably has one in their closet they aren't using.  We upgrade ours every couple years and I give the old ones to family.

Look at other brands, just make sure they have inherent water resistance or you will need to get a bundle with a housing.  On the GP end, I think anything series 5 or newer is good for one atmosphere (33 feet) without one.

https://gopro.com/help/articles/question_answer/how-deep-can-you-dive-with-gopro-cameras?per_page=39?option=com_content&view=category&id=1&layout=blog&Itemid=50

If you watch @steveweast tank video, anything that is obviously not on a tripod I believe he shot on his Gopro as an example of what results you can get but I don't know which model he has.  Works for video and still shots, though you can rip single frames out of a video using the GP software.  I have a housing for mine, but I was diving deep wrecks at 50m in Cozumel this summer and needed the additional depth rating :)

Edited by Krux
  • Like 1

Actually….I shot that video entirely on a GoPro….both inside and outside of the display tank. They are good up to 30 feet….so they are limited for diving, but work great for our aquariums. 

Edited by steveweast

1 hour ago, steveweast said:

Actually….I shot that video entirely on a GoPro….both inside and outside of the display tank. They are good up to 30 feet….so they are limited for diving, but work great for our aquariums. 

Wow I see, would you mind letting me know which model you used for that?