my new dream car

uhuru

Wow, jealous. You own it or just got to take a joy ride for a day?

I'll still take a Nissan GT-R over it anyday though; having driven a 911 once, a carrera many times, and a GT-R for several months, the GT-R takes the cake by far. Cheapest by a long shot, and parts are cheaper too, so advanced tuning is more realistic on a lower sort of budget.

-Sol

Sol - I wish it were mine. I have a rich cousin in CA and when I go down there he lets me choose from his fleet of exotic cars. Anyways that car is not just any 911, it's a GT3 which is a different beast. I've never driven a GTR though so I can't compare.

He wants me to help him set up a reef tank now :)

Excuse my lack of knowledge--can you explain the difference between a 911 turbo and a GT3? The GT3 is not turbocharged right?

Just looking at stats, the GT-R has a 0-60 of 3.7 to the GT3's 4.1, a drag coefficient of .26 to the GT3's .28. Hard to know about handling, though.

I know what you mean about rich family/friends--I went to a VERY expensive high school (on a large scholarship), and got to drive my share of lambo's, ferrari's, and porsches. We can dream though, right? Did he let you really push it, or just drive it around? Almost a waste to drive these cars anything under 100...

-Sol

No the GT3 is not turbocharged, it was built for open track racing. I always prefer naturally aspirated race cars, street cars or 1/4 mile cars are another story. The GT3 has an 8500 rpm redline and pulls hard all the way through!

GT3 and 911 Turbo are very different. GT3 is lighter, RWD, stiffer suspension, basically one is built for the track and one is built for the road. The GT3 is loud and bumpy. The engine sounds completely different.

He let me have the car to myself for the whole weekend. I took it out to the canyon and had a blast with it. I would love to have tracked it because that's what it was begging for.

Got it. Almost makes it surprising that they even bothered to come out with a street-legal model on such a track-oriented car.

Most of my car playing is on tight, short courses, so for me the 40-80 range is what's important. That, and soft suspension and high downforce.

Glad you had fun. Is your cousin looking for a best friend, by any chance ;)

-Sol