Need Ideas For More Inverts For 90 GAL

Kevinmc

(scratch) Hmmm, I have been thinking of adding more inverts to my 90 GAL tank, because I am not a real big fish guy.

Tank has been up a short time (LESS THEN A MONTH), but I am looking to make a list of inverts that I can add a few at a time here, and there. Currently I have the following.

1 Arrow Crab

4 Flame Scallops

30 Snails...( 3 Different Types)

30-40 Small Blue Leg Hermit Crab

I also purchased 4 Emerald Crab, but they died about 5-6 hours after I purchased them, didn't even make it out of the bag. DOH!

I am looking for clams, oysters, and sand sifters of some kind. I will add fish later, but I am in no big hurry. I am looking to build a good eco-system for atleast 6 months to a year first. (scratch)

Please share you invert invert ideas. I want good rock cleaners and sand sifters.

Thanks for your input in advance.

Kevin

I would stay away from clams until you are more comfortable with maintaining your tank. They are not the easiest to care for because of lighting requirements.

Some shrimp would be a good addition and would actually be more visible/entertaining. Cleaners, peppermints, and blood/fire and all good choices.

If you don't really care about your sandbed being depleted of microfauna a sand sifting star will do a good job of cleaning/stirring your sandbed. Also tigertail cucmbers will do the same thing for you.

I suggest waiting for your tank to mature before adding anything major... stick to hermits, trochus and nassarius snails. It'll take several months for your sand bed and live rock to get a good population of microfauna; adding predators too soon is like eating the seed corn. You certainly don't want a tigertail starving to death in your tank :O

Well, tank is a month old, an the live sand and live rock that I bought was from tanks that had been taken down. I bought this stuff from Reef-Fisher in the club and filtered the sand with a skimmer for for about 3 1/2 weeks and same with the rock with lights and heater.

I have growth on the rocks, and my sand has been rinsed lightly and skimmed like I said. This was well seasoned, just the sand needed stiring and skimming the hell out of it.

I have starfish and other thing that lived in the sand and rock when I bought it, and I see them a few times a day with the tank set-up.

Thanks

Kevin

Can I get more information as to what members are feeding their inverts, I am mostly concerned about my flame scallops, as I understand from Andy that they die off easy if they are not fed properly. I am all ears. I will go to the shop in the morning to get food for scallops, emerald crab, arrow crab and all of my snails. And, how do I know if I am feed them all enough, or not enough. I don't want to ruin my water and sand quality.

Thanks

Kevin

Question About My Flame Scallops

I am starting to second guess my choice to buy Flame Scallops. The local shop said that that are a great addition to any tank. (scratch) DOH!

I was wondering what everyone opinion was about Flame Scallops, and also to see if any members have had them, and if you still have them more then a year or two.

I have 4 Flame Scallops and I don't know what to feed then. This posting that I would like to share from another site leaves a huge ? in my mind. There is a mention of feeding DT's, what are DT's, what should I feed them, or how do I better prepair my tank to provide the best enviroment for them?

Thank a million

Kevin

Here are the posts on Flame Scallops:

What about flame scallops?

I was thinking about getting a flame scallop (my wife likes them)

so whats the deal with them? do they need light like a clam?do you feed them? if so what? any specific needs you have to meet please let me know if you have any expereance with them!

thanks D.

_________

55 Gal. REEF 4"D.S.B. 60-65 lbs. live rock, 330 bio wheel, aqua clear 500 and 304 fluval canister with S.C.W.D. & Natrural Wave maker with maxi-jet P.H.'s. Remora Pro w/Mag 3. CRITTERS Spotted Long Tentacle Anemone CORALS: Frogspawn, Pagoda Cup, Shrooms, FISH urple Pseudochromis,and 2 perculas

Re: What about flame scallops?

I don't have experience with them, but this is what I have read over and over -

STAY THE HECK AWAY FROM FLAME SCALLOPS!

They have a very high mortality rate.

People seem to have them for a while, they move around a lot, then they disappear!

More info (note the care level here) :

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...amp;pCatId=559

_________

Go slow, let it grow.

They're not an easy one. They seem to hold on for some time, but they either succumb to some water pollutant or they starve from lack of food. They require phytoplankton in the right size, plus I do belive the need some nitrates (or is it nitrites?). In my NSW systems at work, they thrive, so I'm inclined to think, its got more to do with pollutants from synthetic salt mix and top off water, as I feed several sizes of phytoplankton. With all the acclimating and shipping we do in wholesale, we do HUGE water changes all the time, so water pollutants (quality) is never a problem with our inverts.

My flame scallop just bit the big one but I belive I killed it!

I started feeding d.t.'s and I was target feeding the scallop with the D.T.'s he always looked great untill then but I didn't catch on and the day after did it again then he looked even worse then I got it the D.T.'s came outta the fridge so here I was filling his little shell with a substance that was like ? 30'f I think thats what killed him because like I said he was fine every day for 1/2 a year and then poof It's the only thing I can think of?

DT's need to be kept cold. As soon as it hits the water it warms up.

I have had my Flame scallop for over a year and a half and have never forced feed it.

I add DT's to the water and let them feed freely. I only see him every so often but I know he still lives because I just saw him 2 days ago.

They really are cool but if I had to do it again I would buy something else.

yes I knew about the D.T's. I wasn't force feeding him. I knew there was nothing wrong with him. I thought I was doing him a favor. Instead, being over anxious about using the new D.T's. I made this grievious error and killed him. By tring to be extra nice! It sucks, but that is how you learn. Now I do just add it to the water as you said I just don't know what I was thinking? ???

That's pretty normal from what I've heard that they look fine and then decline very rapidly.

_________

Just tryin to recreate God's perfection in a glass bowl. 20 Gallon Reef W/Live Rock, mated pair of Maroon Clowns, Softies, 110 watts PC 10,000k lighting, and skimmer.

I had a few of them the first time I was in saltwater (10-15 years ago), and they never lasted very long (a couple of months at most) so I decided that I would not keep any more. This time around I have not got any, and do not really miss them. If you have them already, try to feed them phytoplankton. If they do well, then good for you, you are doing something right. If they don't survive, then you are just like the rest of us that can't keep them alive. Just don't beat yourself up about it, learn from it and either change what you do to make it better, or don't get any more of them in the future.

scallops are not photosynthetic, so the lights that you have do not matter.

Clams are photosynthetic, you should not try clams with your PC lights. If you want to try clams you either need A LOT of T-5 lights (6 or 8 bulbs), or MH (either 2x250w or 2x400w).