Nano tank

gmiller

I have a gal at work that would like to have a nano tank on her desk. I know next to nothing about them but have done some reading. I saw what appears to be a nice 12 gallon tank with a full 3 compartment refugium on the back on Tanks Direct.com. The light is a T-5 with 4 32W tubes and I believe the pump is about 190GPH. Is there a best size nano? Would it need a skimmer? Would this tank support a few soft corals and one fish? Your input would be appreciated. Thanks. Gary.

12 gallons are great and yes you can have some softies in there with a fish. My sone has one with a few shrimp a fish and some softies and everything looks great. As for skimmer if you do weekly water changes you should not need one. Only thing I did on my sons was ditch the stock pump and put in a bigger one it helps with the flow. Also ditch the bio balls in the back and put in some LR or just do cheato in there instead with a little light. There are a couple of differant set ups you can get also. Good luck!

if its in an office be sure to look into an Auto top off like the one from JBJ because evaporation cause salinity swings like crazy. and in a small tank such as 12 gallons a little swing makes a huge difference. I have a 29g biocube and have had a 12 nanocube before. feel free to post here or PM with an questions you may have and i will try to help you out. also check out nano-reef.com for great ideas and help.