Bryopsis vs. Zoos

aqua-ed

So I went on a brief Christmas break and a BTA died. The spurt of nutrients set the bryopsis wild. Most of my Zoo colonies are fairly small yet and they got covered in the algae to the point where they couldn't even be seen. I took them out, gently cleaned them the best I could and put them back. They look alright, but they won't open. I don't believe they are dead, they just looked like closed zoos. Can I assume they may open up soon? Is there anything else I should due to ensure their survival? I've changes the water and cleaned up the tank, so WQ is cool.

I had to beg and plead to get these few zoo frags, they can't die now!

When i've rec'd frags of zoas that had some briopsis mixed in, i used some tweezers and plucked the briopsis out, then covered where it was with superglue. I've done this with zoas that have had a wide range of different algaes growing in them.

Afterwards just leave them be and let them get adjusted. They should be fine. Some of my zoas have been closed for over 6 months and still haven't died. In fact, a few of them have new baby polyps. Of course the new polyps don't open either, but at least i know its not dying.

I've got a nice field of Bryopsis in my tank - I picked up a lettuce nudi from Rose City Aquarium a while back and it tore through it, and kept it nice and short. Then he got cut in pieces and the algae grew back. But the Nudi healed up and is back in action and making quick work of the bryopsis - and I know Joel just brought in some Nudis that might help out.

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

I cleaned all the algae off and let them sit under fairly strong current. They started making a comeback, new polyps grew up and started to open a little, then BAM! they closed back up and now they are melting.

What happened? Did they open their eyes and decide it wasn't worth it?

Do the polyps look to have small white bumps on them? Or did the flesh turn a tanish/yellowish color? This would suggest an infection that can be cured.

Unfortunately zoas are known to have this problem occasionally. I've found the best way to save them is low flow and low light if they do not exhibit the above symptoms. Some people over at RC are having success treating with vitamin c. Nobody really knows why this occurs. I've gone thru it before and am usually able to save a few polyps.

I would try fragging off a couple healthy polyps and then seperate them to opposite sides of the tank with low flow and med/low light. If you have a QT, even better.

Another thing you can try is picking up some Furan-2 and dipping in that. I use 1 packet or 1 capsule to about 1 cup of RO water buffered and brought to temp for 7-10min. Then rinse and put back into the tank. Seems to work on a lot of bacterial infections.