Hello from the east side! - Noob looking for guidance

ChickenJo

Hello everyone!

I'm a college student and I've wanted to get into saltwater aquariums for quite some years now, and I'm trying to feel out options and get as informed as possible before I make the plunge. I'm on a bit of a tight budget bc of college, so I'm also trying to find deals where possible. As of now I'm thinking about doing a real small set up, either Fluval Evo 5 gallon or 13.5 gallon, depending on how price and a few other things shake out. In these I want to start out with just some hardy corals, and eventually once things are going good maybe do some fish (maybe an ocellaris pair in the 13.5g and a goby/pistol shrimp pair in the 5g? idk, that's a ways off)

So far here's my plan for equipment, please let me know what I'm missing/what I don't need/better options than what I found

thermometer Coralife
Salt Instant Ocean
ATO Gravity Fed ATO
Refractometer Magnum Media
Heater Eheim Jager
Test Kit API Kit
Live rock Caribsea
Powerhead Hydor Pico Evo Mag
Heater Controller Inkbird
Live sand Arag alive
Media Basket Intank
RODI Aquaticlife
5g Tank Evo 5
13g Tank Evo 13.5

Would this be everything I need for either? Is this what I need for the media basket: Filter floss, carbon in a media bag, biocubes? Is the stock light good enough for acans, leathers, blastos, mushrooms, GSPs, and/or Zoas?

Edited by ChickenJo
accidentally submitted before finishing

Sounds like a nice setup.   

i would recommend getting a separate ammonia and nitrite test as you will use those every few days for the initial setup to let you know when it’s safe to add critters.  

make sure to post photos so we can check it out!!!