Injured fish for adoption

Guest jab502

I purchased a new fish and got him attacked by my Niger trigger today. He is about a 1 1/2" rainford goby. I had added several smaller fish than him with no problem. As soon as the trigger saw him he went after the rainford. The trigger chased and bit at him for about 30 seconds before I could net the goby and put him in the sump. He lost a piece of his tail and has a bite mark that took a little bit of flesh off of the rear lower portion of his body. This happened about 6 hours ago and the goby seems to be improving. I figured he would be dead within 10 minutes. I have watched him in the sump and at first he was incredibly scared (obviously). For the last couple of hours he has been moving around the sump and looks OK. Certainly not perfect, but much better. Anyway he is a really cool fish. If anybody would like to give him a nice home in a peaceful tank let me know. I am giving him away for free. There is no guarantee that he will live, but I figure he has a better chance in a nice tank, than in my dark sump. Call me if you want him. He is a tough fish and would make a great story if he lives. I live in Happy Valley, just outside of Portland near Clackamas. 503-330-4772 Jake.

Your sump may be the best place for him for now. I know that that type of fish eats pods and such, so if you have any LR or rubble in your sump there should be a lot of pods for the injured fish to eat while he is resting and healing. When it gets better then you can adopt him out.

If nobody else takes him, I would love to add one of these to my tank. I already have a hector's gobi. It has the same body shape, but black and yellow horizontal stripes. Nice looking fish when it comes out of the rockwork.

dsoz

I'll take him if your still looking for a home. They are a great fish. I kept one for a few year before I moved up here and had to give him away. I have a tank ready for him. A 33g with a 25g refugium where he would only be housed with 4 seahorses and a twinspot goby. He would be happy there and have no enemies.

I also have much experience nursing fish back to health. I have succsessfully treated many sick fish from LFS and made it a side job for awhile.

I'd love to pick hi up if you can catch him.

Kevin

Those blasted triggers. My niger did the same to a new chromis within an hour of it's arrival. Lost half of his back and bottom fins, caught his eye, causing little air bubbles. He drifted nose up for days, went to throw him out and he started flapping. Stunned, I put him back and kept putting food towards him during feedings. After about 1-2 weeks, you couldn't tell anything happened to the guy. I was impressed.

Sounds like you have lots of people willing to give him a good home. I would also be willing to take him. I have several large reef tanks running into a common sump. I could put him in anyone of them and he'd be fine -all peaceulf homes :). They've been up and running for 2+ years. Let me know if interested!

Thanks