Recomendations On Pump Size For Waterfall Algae Scrubber?

TaylorW

So I bought a nice used waterfall algae scrubber which I'm really liking, it came with everything, nice LED lighting on both sides except it didn't come with a pump. I've never owned an Algae scrubber so I've been looking around online to try to get an idea of what pump to use, I tried it first with a mag 5 pump I had and it was definitely overkill! I don't want to hook it up to my overflow, I'd rather use a pump. I'm thinking maybe 300-400 gph with adjustable flow? If anyone has a better idea of what I should get and better yet if you have one that would work laying around let me know

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

I “T” mine off my return and use a ball valve to adjust flow. I have found that the best water flow is to adjust the flow as low as possible but to where it just cascades evenly down the mesh.  Higher flow seemed to hinder the growth of algae, and lower flow ended up with dry areas where algae would die back. Once you have the flow dialed in you shouldn’t have to adjust it. I did however find that there needs to be a flap that covers the top 1/2 inch or so of exposed screen to keep algae away from blocking the slit in the pipe, helps keep the flow evenly distributed across the entire screen. 

• Like 1

I “T” mine off my return and use a ball valve to adjust flow. I have found that the best water flow is to adjust the flow as low as possible but to where it just cascades evenly down the mesh.  Higher flow seemed to hinder the growth of algae, and lower flow ended up with dry areas where algae would die back. Once you have the flow dialed in you shouldn’t have to adjust it. I did however find that there needs to be a flap that covers the top 1/2 inch or so of exposed screen to keep algae away from blocking the slit in the pipe, helps keep the flow evenly distributed across the entire screen. 

I actually considered t-ing off my return but then I'd probably have to get a larger return pump? I could very well be wrong [emoji848] I ended up going with a Maxi jet 1200 and it actually seems great! I originally tried a mag 5 pump I had laying around and man was it massive overkill! Water was spraying everywhere [emoji58] so I figured something with less gph would do the trick and with the Maxi jet to me it looks perfect [emoji108] I really like your mention of covering the top half inch to help keep the algae from clogging the slit where the water falls from, what did you use to do that? 

How long do you leave your lights on? Do you run them opposite schedule of your tank light? This is the one I ended up buying, the LEDs are extremely bright, it came with everything except the pump. The guy was only wanting $50 for it but gave it to me for $40 so I thought it was definitely worth it! It's lit on both sides, has the top and cover and plumbing. I ran it in a bucket of citric acid and ro water for a few hours and good as new072fe0235177749a0805b7aa8171a649.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorW said:

How long do you leave your lights on? Do you run them opposite schedule of your tank light? This is the one I ended up buying, the LEDs are extremely bright, it came with everything except the pump. The guy was only wanting $50 for it but gave it to me for $40 so I thought it was definitely worth it! It's lit on both sides, has the top and cover and plumbing. I ran it in a bucket of citric acid and ro water for a few hours and good as new072fe0235177749a0805b7aa8171a649.jpg

I just made a flap out of a few layers of duct tape and where I folded it over on the bottom I used a wood skewer, ghetto but has worked for a few years. I currently run the lights opposite and for 11 hours. In the past I ran the lights much longer but as the ATS took off and tank matured I have began to run into the issue of lack of nutrients and have had to dial back the photo period. I had always had low phosphates but really high nitrates added the scrubber and it barley grew anything for the first few months and I saw no benefits, started dosing phosphates per a suggestion, it exploded with growth and nitrates dropped very fast.

F3C88829-1F04-4774-B61A-E575F97DBE97.thumb.jpeg.e1bc1dc72f0073abf755f03eb572b9fd.jpegF37C389C-515B-430D-BF03-AC704E9C2DFB.thumb.jpeg.e85ae44679bffd709dac320d66099430.jpeg

• Like 1

I just made a flap out of a few layers of duct tape and where I folded it over on the bottom I used a wood skewer, ghetto but has worked for a few years. I currently run the lights opposite and for 11 hours. In the past I ran the lights much longer but as the ATS took off and tank matured I have began to run into the issue of lack of nutrients and have had to dial back the photo period. I had always had low phosphates but really high nitrates added the scrubber and it barley grew anything for the first few months and I saw no benefits, started dosing phosphates per a suggestion, it exploded with growth and nitrates dropped very fast.F3C88829-1F04-4774-B61A-E575F97DBE97.thumb.jpeg.e1bc1dc72f0073abf755f03eb572b9fd.jpegF37C389C-515B-430D-BF03-AC704E9C2DFB.thumb.jpeg.e85ae44679bffd709dac320d66099430.jpeg

Great idea [emoji106] I'll definitely try the duct tape thing. I've been battling nitrates in this tank so I'm hoping the scrubber will help

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TaylorW said:

Great idea emoji106.png I'll definitely try the duct tape thing. I've been battling nitrates in this tank so I'm hoping the scrubber will help

As long as you have phosphates present, once the ATS takes off Im sure your nitrates will drop fast. 

• Like 1

As long as you have phosphates present, once the ATS takes off Im sure your nitrates will drop fast. 
Oh I have phosphates, that I'm sure of. I removed all the chaeto and put it in a bucket and removed the fuge light too so I'm going to have to find a home for those since I'll have no use for them anymore. I'm glad you responded [emoji4] thank you! I truly appreciate the tips, I've been in this hobby since 2014 (saltwater anyway, have had freshwater since I was eight) and I still feel like I know so little about it.

• Like 1

Lol I think we are always learning from talking with each other. 

That's why I love this forum! I just took some pics of the screen, this is three days of growth, I set it up Sunday morning. Does this look pretty good in your opinion? I was surprised there was anything after only three days! But this is the first scrubber I've owned so I'm not sure. Now I have hope that this could really do wonders for this tank, I've always had high nitrates in it. I'm sure it's because I really like feeding the fish in this one [emoji849] all of my corals have always looked great though so it must not be too terrible but 30-60 ppm of nitrates is crazy high! I think this may be the answer to the nitrate problem in this tank, and I can still feed my fish like I want to [emoji3] this is the first tank I've had nitrate problems in, it really started going up after adding my Kole tang a few months back and I started feeding more, adding Nori and more variety. That fish eats and poops a lot so I think that added to the issue, before my nitrates were around ~10 in that tank, it could be other factors too though that added to the problem though.6084dcbf3932af3f7b0d8496b2269b4c.jpgae2af13db527cc197b396ce1ad3f54a9.jpg 

I also just followed what you did and did the Duct tape thing to help block the light along the slit where the water pours down, I did it right after taking the pictures. I may end up having to cut the screen to a smaller size too, after reading a little more I found out my screen may end up being too large

That looks good for a few days of growth. I had slimy algae for a while on the screen. I actually ended up seeding the screen with some green hair algae by just threading it through the screen. I also pulled the screen out and really really scuffed it up, like to the point I thought I may rip it. I dont think it was scuffed up enough when I first set it up. Once the screen starts to grow green hair algae you will be amazed how quick it will grow. 

• Like 1

That looks good for a few days of growth. I had slimy algae for a while on the screen. I actually ended up seeding the screen with some green hair algae by just threading it through the screen. I also pulled the screen out and really really scuffed it up, like to the point I thought I may rip it. I dont think it was scuffed up enough when I first set it up. Once the screen starts to grow green hair algae you will be amazed how quick it will grow. 
Thanks, I'm going to pull it out and look again this morning. I haven't looked at it much for a couple days because I'm trying not to obsess about it too much, I was staring at it it felt like constantly for the first few days lol. I think I'll probably get a hole saw to scuff it up more too. The scrubber came with an extra screen that was pre-scuffed but everywhere I've read said to get it as abrasive as possible like you just said so I'll do it just to get as much out of it as I can.