mean clown fish

mister crabs

ok so i bought an occelaris clown about 4 weeks ago and then another about a week ago. the new one is tormenting the first not allowing a moments rest. (flame) then original clown sorta floats sideways acting injured or dying so the other will leave it alone. i moved the aggressive clown to the sump area of my Biocube where my LR rubble and chaeto is at. I am going to take him back to the LFS unless anyone has a suggestion as to how to get them to coexist? DOH!

and does anyone have any suggestions for a better tank inhabitant? My wife wants a coral beauty angel but i am worried he will pick on the clown as well. I was thinking maybe something very brightly colored? any suggestions? the other tank inhabitant is a diamond watchman goby who doesnt bother anyone but the dirty sand. (laugh)

How big of a tank do you have? Also clowns are notorious for that they pick on the smaller one to keep it male and the female grows and keeps pickin on the smaller one to make it stay male. They can change sexs so it's kind of natures way of evenin out the genders. If your tank is decent size a coral beauty should be ok in there just depending on if they hav enough hiding spots and such

The laying on the side thing is a submissive behavior shown by smaller, male clowns. It is part of the pair-bonding experience. Unless there is damage being done to the smaller fish, keep them together and you can have a pair.

I think a bio-cube is too small for an angel.

dsoz

so its normal for them to chase the smaller one around relentlessly? it seems every time the larger one spots the other it chases after it and sorta nips at his tail w/o actually biting it. if this is a good thing i will bring the big one out of "time-out" and put them back together. thanks. any links to clownfish behaviour i could read up on?

One tip in the future, if you want clowns to pair up the easy way is to make sure you introduce at the same time, it really goes much faster, a female that has already hosted a anemone is much more likely to fight off any males for a longer time. I can usually get a new pair introduced the same day to start "Pairing up" within a couple days max if they are in fact Juvies or male-female