Single Gold Stripe Maroon

Barelycuda

FREE TO A GOOD HOME ALSO. In the process of picking up my new clownfish pairs last weekeng the guy I bought them from gave me a single female Gold Stripe Maroon for free since he needed to tear the tank down that it was in. She is approx 2.5" long & looking for a boyfriend :). I'll get a pic up soon.

Cuda

I would say she is healthy. The Guy I got her from had her for a coulple of years in a 200g sump full of live rock. She hid for the first day or two & then started eating so I think she is in good shape. Just needs a better home. Are you coming up to the meeting tomorrow? If so you could take him home with you or maybe someone coming up from the south could take her back down with them & meet you somewhere.

Cuda

Newreefer02-

That's why you got the Maroon from me; after 1 minute it was obvious they were probably the same sex....was afraid it was going to be a fight to the death. I was hoping to have a pair when I put him into my tank. How can you tell for sure it's a male.....if it is, I'm assuming the one I have now would be a male then since they fought so intensely. Would a female and male go at it so harshly Cuda?

Size is usually the indicator. Most clowns start of as an unsexed juvenile. As they get bigger, they turn male. Then as they get larger they turn female. The large female picks on the smaller fish to force them to stay male. If a clown has been in a tank by itself for a length of time (2-4 weeks), it may have started the process of turning female. Once the process has started, it can not be reversed.

When I lost my "larger" female clown, I looked for a much smaller juvenile to replace it. That way the male would turn female, and the juvenile will become the male.

Newreefer02- if your "male" has been alone, and started to grow, it is now probably a female. You would need to get a smaller male to hope for a pair. Usually the male will only be about 80% of the size of the female.

dsoz

Ron,

Do you have a single maroon now? Just like dsoz said above that if you have a single clown for any period of time it is probably a female. If you have a single the best thing to do is get a small juvenille that is stiil with a group of others & has not started to change sex or get a known pair.

Cuda

Yea I got that one to start my pair, I have a friend thats looking for one as well.... Maroons are some of the best looking clowns for color and it looks really good in my bubble that i have. the Bubble has a purple base color with green tenticals, and each tentical has a white ring around where it bubbles out. I haven't seen anything like it. Like i said I would take eaither one of them i don't mind which one i get im just trying to get a breeding pair going! And The one i have now i pretty good size it is about 2"-2.5" and eats like a toad!

Derek