Question Regarding Carbon Reactor in DT

Brian Tesch

Hey Guys,

I'm currently upgrading my RO unit by adding a few housings and turning it into a "Pro" DI system using BRS's split DI resin instead of mixed beds. 

As I was about to place an order for a few 10" housings I got to thinking a 10" RO filter housing plumbed into return line with a ball valve at the end and an RO carbon block filter would be a cheap Carbon reactor for my tank. I currently have a bag of carbon sitting in a high flow area of the sump.

So as such, my question is:

Considering the reactor above should I:
A: Use Prepackaged Carbon block filters (5Micron or 1Micron) inside the housing. BRS sells 5Micron in bulk for $6.50 each and would be easier.
B: Use one of their DI cartridges and manually replace and pack my own carbon in. 

I am wondering if the prepacked carbon block filters would have less carbon inside them than a cartridge full of carbon, therefore requiring the prepacked ones to be replaced more often. Also, would the 5Micron filter clog quickly, or would be beneficial. 

Appreciate the responses. 
-Brian

• Like 1